WiFi in Auto via Cell Network

The other day a TV station was reporting on the Gadget Show and I caught the last few seconds of a report on WiFi for an auto via the cell networks. Any idea what the product was?

Reply to
babalooixnay
Loading thread data ...

Doesn't work very well at all...Most cars are a metal shell and block the signal big time.. Look into the yahoo group InternetByCellphone instead... Most phones and providers support that, and it's rather cheap and easy to do.

Reply to
Peter Pan

I have some trouble seeing how cell phones would work much better in cars than WiFi. I sometimes sit in the car and surf while waiting for my car pool partner, but I haven't tried it while moving.

In any case, the question was about WiFi _via_ cell networks - I can't see how that would differ much from InternetByCellphone

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I have on both my cell and the back of my laptop, that stick on velcro square stuff (just hook up the cable and stick it to the back of the laptop).. When online (in the vehicle) or walking (moving around), works fine.. Even used it on a cruise ship, roller coaster, and taxiing plane...

While I do have wireless at home, and it works fine outside, the signal drops way way off when I get in the car.. That's when I started using the cell/internet combo.. Something about the signal strength of cell versus the weak stuff from wifi.... Found cell was consistent no matter where I was, while WiFi only worked in certain locations, and only at sometimes, and in some vehicles.. Something to do with signal/frequency propogation (don't know the details enuf to 'splain it, just know what works and what doesn't).

As to your question, there are specific WiFi by cell phone systems, (limited in area, and costs extra)...

Reply to
Peter Pan

It's one of several systems that connect to the cellular provider for connectivity, then share that connection via 802.11b/g wireless. It's kinda like a docking station for the cell phone, wired into a wireless router. With EV-DO or HSDPA speeds, it's not all that bad. Of course, the cellular providers hate the idea (tethered access).

formatting link
are others.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I use a Verizon service called Verizon National Access Broadband. The cost is $60 a month for unlimited use. It works in many if not most metropolitan areas and promises near DSL-like speed. In New York I find it works pretty well. When you sign up they give you a PC Card adapter with it's own cell phone number and accompanying software. It's based on something called EV-DO technology. Worth a call to Verizon. I think Cingular offers a similar service. Verizon customer service (800)922-0204, tech support (866)788-9387. I'm in my car now in Manhattan parked alongside the curb.

Reply to
dejola

Thanks folks. My problem is currently using a Powerbook with no card slot but the WiFi transmitters look over the top expensive. So does the cell service at 80US a month. A couple of years ago I was using Unlimited 3G data service in Europe via Vodaphone for 19.95 Euro (23USD) a month, on a month by month basis and physical coverage in about 80% of the continent. That made perfect sense and was even a competitor with fixed line service. The cards were a bit pricey, about

270US from Vodafone but less if you shopped around. Easy to justify the whole package.
Reply to
babalooixnay

I have to say that 80% of the continent of Europe is a wild claim. Even in the UK, Orange which claims that it has the largest 3G coverage in the country only claims to cover 60% of the population, not country - big difference! Vodafone make a similar claim but again, it's 60% or so of the population not the country.

There's no way that there's 80% 3G coverage across Europe and that price plan was a special of some sort because right now in the UK, the Vodafone unlimited tarrif is £45 which is about 60 Euros.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

It was 19.95 E from vodafone italy. Worked everywhere I went in Italy, Greece and Croatia. That was spring, summer and fall of 2004. Heard similar reports of France and Germany. Yes, the price could have gone up but it wasn't being sold then as a special. Don't know why or how within EU regs but all Italian cell services were cheaper than France and from what I remember from web ads a great deal cheaper than UK. The real point for me is all three US providers are priced exactly the same, 80US month, in the tauted land of competition and 3G is just now showing up here.

Reply to
babalooixnay

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.