WIFI Hot Spot Web Page

formatting link
This is a hot spot finder URL, I have found out how it operates. Now what do I do with the SSID code they list for a specific hot spot, like the free ones post?

BILL P.

Reply to
William. Boyd
Loading thread data ...

Cowboy Bill,

He's coherent, except being the dude he is, he forgot to tell you that after you sit down, to turn your computer on. That's the most important part of it. And -then- connect. You don't need to do nuthin' with them there SSID thingy ma bochers, except if'n your screen prompts you, to just choose which one you want to connect to and follow the instructions. If it is a free open network, it may just go on ahead and connect your young ass on up auto-magically!!

Why hell there hand, it's easyerin' falling off a log!! So try not to make it any more complicated than needs be Ok?

Morty "I just found the hat" McSnerd Cowboy Country USA! Yee HAW!!

Reply to
Morty McSnerd

Thats all right I'll just wait for some one more coherent, thanks any way.

Reply to
William. Boyd

Unfortunately, my ass is not young (I'll consider that as a compliment) and I do not have a counterfeit computer (lap top/note book) I have the real thing, so I cannot just stroll in and set down. My computer is Installed in a camper trailer, full size desk top with monitor, key board, mouse and 40 pounds of back-up battery as well as a flatbed and printer, two loud ass speakers and a full size web cam. So you see there are things that you might have to do when you are in an area where there are more than one hot spot, if nothing else but to select the one you want to connect to. And it must be complicated like all the rest of it or it would not be interesting enough to fool with. Catch that Tonto, ;-)

BILL P. :-)

Reply to
William. Boyd

drive or walk to the hotspot, buy a coke, sit down, connect.

Reply to
bumtracks

Clarence, it is good to find some one that can impart knowledge, they are few and far between. Many thanks for the comeback. I have a wireless router in my house some 200' away from the camper. the Linksys is connected to a cable modem and open with a firewall. I have a PC adapter card in my desk top tower. I operate continually on the wifi that I have established. But it connects automatically due to it being the only network in range. After reviewing the web page you provided I think I might have it. Thanks a lot, I found as an air traffic controller that you must find out what the pilot that is lost knows and sees first before telling him what else to look for. You pretty well done that.

BILL P ;-)

Reply to
William. Boyd

If you have a WindowsXP-SP2 laptop, you can skip the Coke.

If you have a laptop that will connect to a WAP at home, it will connect to most of the free spots, and you'll just be connected to the internet. The SSID listing would let you know which of those listed was available in your WinXP "available networks" listing, so that you wouldn't bother trying to connect to one that charges money, if there was a free one available that you could recognize by name. You don't need the SSID.

If you are in one of the pay locations, you open a web browser, and regardless of what site you try to go to on the internet, you get their login page instead. There you supply a credit card and then connect to the internet.

At some airports, there is an AT&T-intel hotspot that asks for your Cellphone number. The charge is made to your cellphone, and an authorization key is sent to the cellphone via text messaging.

Reply to
dold

I think you are correct on the quality force here a large majority are almost as green as I am. :-)

BILL P. ;-)

Reply to
William. Boyd

Then I was more correct than I originally thought. :-)

Reply to
William. Boyd

It really is a lot less complicated than you want it to be. If you have Windows XP, you just need to open the systray icon for Wireless Networking. There are some simplified instructions at

formatting link
You should take a test run down to someplace, even if it's Starbucks, which requires a subscription. You can still connect to the Access Point, you just don't get to do anything but display their login page, which verifies that you can connect to an open wireless access point.

Have you ever connected to any wireless access point, even at home? You could borrow one and bring it to the trailer, if it is a problem to move the trailer. With just power applied to the access point, and no wired network connections, you should be able to connect to it.

Reply to
dold

Clarence,

You can type to cowboy boyd til your fingers go numb and he'll still complain, if his behavior over in the RV group is any indication. That's why most of us have him filtered.

We beat this RV Wifi thing absolutely to death only a couple of weeks ago in the RV group. Antennas, cards, protocols, hot spots, war driving, the works. I personally typed thousands of words, as did several others. If that wasn't enough for Boyd then nothing will be. I imagine he's come here because he is so filtered over there.

John

Reply to
Neon John

If you have Windows XP SP2, and an "open" access point, it doesn't connect automatically, at least not the first time. It might boing, telling you that wireless is available, or you might have opened the "view wireless networks" page. When you tried to connect the first time, it warned you that it was an unsecure connection. After that first connection, then it would connect automatically.

That's going to happen again at any of the pay hotspots, or some neighborhood personal access point (like yours) that isn't secure.

But that's how difficult it is, if you've already connected in the past: locate, click connect, optionally pay, surf.

Sometimes that's the hard part. What do you know, and what did you mean to ask? Everybody is on this group. Full time hired professionals in the field, self-employed consultants, tinkering hobbyists, casual users who have stumbled the path before you did, and idiots.

More lists:

formatting link
formatting link
shows wireless KOA sites, powered by
formatting link
which is a subscription service that has locations at KOA and some trendy coffee shops.
formatting link
might be helpful, but it isn't clear which locations cost money and which are free.
formatting link
lets you search by zip code, and show only free, only paid, or both.
formatting link
has an online directory that contains some free entries, but mostly guidance to paid spots where Boingo will work.

Reply to
dold

Nonsense. It's as young as it feels.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Hey, the thread is worth it, he claims he's an air traffic controller. Now when I have to go to Oklahoma, I'll always drive. I just hope ol Wild Billie-Bob let's us know if he ever gets transferred out of Oklahoma so we will know which other airports to avoid.

Reply to
Morty McSnerd

Well Well, There is old Neon John, He is still pissed because I fired him. :-)

Sorry, There seems to be people over here that really knows about wireless and many that known how to impart that knowledge.

BILL P.

Reply to
William. Boyd

Don't know what blew your skirt, don't recall having any discussion with you that would draw up your shorts. Yes I said I was an air traffic controller, and I meant it to be was. Held that job for eighteen years but that was twenty six years ago. As for knowing computer systems, I never said I had much understanding, and still don't. That is why I prefer to obtain information from the best source available. In fact I was sent over here by some one in the rv group after I was given several conflicting bits of information, followed by a bunch of them getting in a big argument over who knew the correct way, so I departed. I have found that the folks in the rv group, some have a little knowledge about rv rigs and little more. Want to know about the tow vehicle go to the truck group, three of them, Dodge, GM & Ford.

Bill P. ;-)

Reply to
William. Boyd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.