wifi hates wired

Greetings!

So, I have an odd issue. So, this is my first wifi network...and where most people's greatest concern is security, I have no issues with locking down a network. However, I do have issues with my wireless system and my personal box not seeing each other. My box is connected directly to the Linksys wireless-G router through my full-dup 100, and the other box connects via Linksys Wireless-G adapter, both with speed booster. Wireless runs XP-Personal, and my box runs W2k-ASE. The dhcp on my box is disabled to prevent issues with conflicting dhcp with my router. Both systems have the same workgroup. My router does not, however, seem to be acknowledging my box on the dhcp end. I have my machine set to a fixed 192.168.1.155, something I have had great success with in the past when dealing with an auto-config dhcp network. I also have pgp7 installed on my machine, which has its own virtual network adapter, but uses the actual one for network stuff. Another oddity: I can access my router's config only from my computer, and not the wifi macine.

Any answers? Please let me know asap.

Thank you for your help.

-Liam

Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services

---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **

----------------------------------------------------------

formatting link

Reply to
Liam Conrad
Loading thread data ...

"Liam Conrad" wrote in news:419febe6$1_5@127.0.0.1:

I had trouble with wire and wireless machines accessing each other when WEP was enabled on my BEFW11S4 V1 router. The machines were Win 2K pro and Adv Server at the time. With WEP off, there was no problem. I came around the WEP enabled problem by using NWlink as one of the network protocols.

Now, the machines are XP Pro and the only network protocol I use is TCP/IP with MS Network Client, MS File & Print Service and QoS Packet Scheduler. I have no problems with this configuration for wired and wireless machine. The machines wired or wireless can also do File Sharing with the Linux machine that runs Samba on the network.

You may want to look into the network protocols.

If you try NWlink, you should uninstall NETBeui first if you have NETBeui installed.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I like mysteries. I deduce that your Linksys wireless router is a WRT54GS. How close did I get?

Ok. You have two computahs. Some questions:

- Do both of them have static IP addresses?

- Can both of them ping the router at 192.168.1.1?

- What do you have configured for a default gateway IP address on each?

- Can the wRT54GS connect to the internet via dsl or cable?

- Can both machine browse the internet?

- Do you have Windoze file sharing enabled on both machines?

- Do you have any directories marked as shareable (optional)?

- Duz your XP box have SP2 installed? If so, temporarily disarm the firewall to see if that's getting in the way. If so, configure the Windoze firewall to allow "file and print sharing".

- Do you have any other personal firewalls or security softare installed?

I assume that there some reason for not using DHCP.

OK, so you're description of them not "seeing" each other means Windoze browsing (NETBIOS of TCP/IP). Try this to bypass the master browser mess: Start -> Run IP_address_of_other_machine or name_of_other_machine You should get a display of the available shares on the other machine.

Huh? Duz that mean that your "box" cannot ping the router? Can't access the web configuration? Cannot browse the net?

Make your life easier and kindly cease trying to configure your computahs. It's not working. Since you were able to disable DHCP, I deduce that you have access to the router via the web configuration from at least one machine. Turn DHCP back on, setup your client computers to use DHCP assigned IP addresses, reboot, and see if things start to work. When you have connectivity to the internet and between machines, then tinker with fixed IP addresses. When you have those working, turn off DHCP last in the router.

Which is "my computer", the XP box or the W2K box?

No, just lots of questions. With all due respect, your description of the problem and general lack of numbers isn't making answering your question any easier. In the future, kindly state:

1. What you are trying to accomplish.
  2. What you have to work with. (Hardware, Operating systems, versions, updates).
  3. Where you are stuck.
  4. What you did to get there.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hey,

Ok, that is my router. the xp is a dynamic ip obtained by the dhcp on the router. I do not have internet on the router for them to connect. As of right now, bot machines will be onnecting through the dial-up on the wireless xp box. As to the dhcp on my machine, w2k-Advances Server Edition likes to serve ip's, so the dhcp server has been disabled, 'cause as we all know, the worst thing for a network other than power failure is to dhcp servers trying to serve each other ip's...can we say HALT? haha. Yes, both machines ping the router. Both machines have the router configured as the default gateway. XP machine does not have SP2 installed, but XP's internal firewall is configured to allow file/print sharing over wireless, and not over internet, though internet connection sharing is active on the xp machine. PGP7 is installed on w2k-ASE machine, but PGPnet is disabled entirely, including PGPnet VPN protocol on main adapter, and the PGPnet VPN virtual adapter. PGP shouldn't be interfering. Both machines have the same workgroup. My machine can pin gthe router, as I can configure it through its default 192.168.1.1:80 address...the wireless machine cannot, however. I am to understand that this is a common thing, that the wireless machines cannot, for security reasons, configure the router by these means.

With all do respect, many of your questions were already answered in my previous post. I hope this additional info helps you some.

-Liam Conrad, KF4TQS

---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **

formatting link

Reply to
Liam Conrad

Thank you very much!! The protocol issue was indeed correct and now my wifi and network is functioning correctly...well mostly. I have an issue with an occasional loss of signal (typically very good to excellent). I think that may be the age of this house (~100yrs) and a few other issues. RF propegation is something I understand well, and feel that this will be solved with adjusting antenna location, and antenna gain. Thank you, again, for your help.

Gratefully,

-Liam Conrad, KF4TQS

formatting link

Reply to
Liam Conrad

"Liam Conrad" wrote in news:41a0f9de$1_3@127.0.0.1:

You are welcome and I am glad you have resolved the problem.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

there are many people who do not use DHCP and manually assign IP addresses. I do that as I port forward Remote Desktop connection and sometimes pcAnywhere on a friend's machine. However, when I use DHCP, the last 3 digits of the IP address start at .100. However, when I assign the IP addresses the final digits are less than 100, i.e. 192.168.1.20 or

192.168.1.30 It works just fine. It's the only way if you are doing any port forwarding.

Reply to
Alan White

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:54:01 -0500, Alan White spoketh

Unless of course, if you have a DHCP server which supports reservations...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me. "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.