Wifi for approx 9 square miles

I'm budgeting for a wireless network that will cover approximately 9 sq mile, downtown area of a city in Asia. My prior experience was setup for 300x300 sq ft office floors so I figure it would be totally different ball game. Can some one suggest me some products (APs, antennaes), documents (technical or marketing)?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
w1llr0ut34f00d
Loading thread data ...

intel has published a lot of information about deploying wireless networks. Here's one page, but it includes links to many docs

formatting link

Reply to
visitor

Actually, the wireless part is fairly easy and relatively cheap. It's the backhaul connection to the internet and administration overhead that will cost real money. Abuse is almost guaranteed and needs to be policed or at least controlled. For such a system, you'll probably need to contact a systems vendor. Start here:

formatting link
don't have any specific recommendations but suggest you look at existing projects and ask for copies of their proposals and budgets.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This may help. 72 pages.

formatting link
's the City of Philadelphia's proposed 135 square mile wireless network. I don't consider the numbers and operations plan to be very realisitic, but it's a start. They technical part at the end is excellent (on first reading). They are apparently aware that there are existing wireless networks that may interfere with their grand scheme. There have also been legal challenges.
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

w1llr0ut34f00d skrev:

Have you consider a Mesh network ?

formatting link
you can download open source SW at:
formatting link
see also:
formatting link
arnulf @
formatting link

Reply to
Arnulf Sortland

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.