WiFi exploit via duplicated SSID

Warren Oates hath wroth:

Yep. I know how it works. The problem is that the average thrift shop cannot afford to test and identify all the electronics that gets donated, especially at the prices people are willing to pay for them. There are also a limited number of people still doing repairs or are interested in buying devices that have a high potential for being fried. My guess is about half the electronics I buy at various thrift shops is dead. Since these are charities (Mtn Thrift benfits the local High Skool) I don't return anything for credit that was blown. Most people don't do that and regularly return things.

What makes this place unique is that there are about 5 locals that actually do purchase electronics, do repairs, and do not become a drag on the business by returning things. They also have employees that have finally discovered that if you price things low enough, people will take a chance and buy them even if they might be DOA.

If you want your local thrift shops to take in electronics, you'll need to convince them that there's a market. You'll also need to convince the local dump or recyling center to deal with the overflow and to allow limited scavenging:

It can be done, but it wasn't easy as there are liability issues if anyone gets hurt dragging off something big or dangerous. The biggest help at the thrift shop was to get donors to identify in writing what was being donated, how much it was worth, and what was wrong with it. Also, some basic cleaning.

Some local charities have turned eWaste into a business:

The way the money moves is rather complex, but basically the local waste management organizations are tryin to keep re-usable items out of the garbage dumps. I've purchased a wide array of obsolete but useful computers and parts from their computer store. However, what they mostly do is tear apart the computers, cell phones, and electronics, and send the guts off to the metal recyclers. There's gold in eWaste, literally.

I can go on and on on recycling electronics, but not here and now.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

The recycling company that we used is subsidized by the state, and destoys everything ;-( Not my choice at all, but it was difficult to get anyone to take e-junk before the state fee thing. I forget who they are now, ut they had a catchy name in the ad on KCBS.

Here's a generic page:

formatting link
can't find the company we used in their search engine. erecycle has a search engine for "reuse" as well as "recycle".

Reply to
dold

It's not as bad here as it sounds. There's a thrift shop "chain store" about 15 miles away (Value Village) that has some neat stuff (lots of CRT monitors these days) and profits go to charity. There's also a recycling bbs system (I forget what it's called) where you can post items to give away, or that you want. I can also drive to Montreal, and pay a bit more in one of the eJunk places. Toronto would be closer but I won't go there on a dare.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Hi,

The DLink client is a complete drop-in and not just an interface for WZC.

In fact, I have the WZC service completetly disabled under services.msc

"Use Windows to manage your wireless connections" (or whatever it is) doesn't even appear in the advanced settings for the WNIC as the WZC isn't running...

Reply to
Eric

I checked my machine, DLink DWL-G630, on WinXP SP2. I have the little stacked bar signal thing in the systray, but if I double click on it, the WZC window opens. You could turn off WZC, but WZC is the default.

Reply to
dold

Yeah, the DLink drivers and client doesn't change your default manager over from WZC to DLink on installation. Nice of it, I suppose... Thats the first thing I always change though...

When I click the wireless NIC icon, it opens up a dialogue box that is pretty much the same for any other NIC.. Status, Network, Speed, etc. The only difference between it and the wired NIC dialogue boxes is that it also has a "View Wireless Network" button that would launch WZC, if WZC service was running. Clicking on it gets a dialogue box: "If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Windows Zero Configuration service." It then refers to:

formatting link
(run services.msc and start WZC).

When I click DLink's icon (little yellow 'D') in the system tray, it brings up the DLink client. I use DLink's client for management as I don't trust WZC...

Reply to
Eric

Oh, I just re-read your post and realized also that by little stacked bar signal thing you probably meant the DLink client and not the wireless NIC icon...

That would also be a different client than the one I'm using. My client has a little yellow 'D' for an icon in the system tray..

The card in this computer is an AirPremier DWL-AG530 802.11a/g card... We probably are using different DLink clients....

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.