Wifi clients "the page cannot be displayed" but good on wired PCs

Greetings all,

A problem emerged on my Windows peer to peer network, (4 computers,

2 win2k, 1 xp and 1 win98) on the 2 wifi machines (win98 G and xp B clients) No domain, only a workgroup defined with one (wired) master browser (all the other PC's browsers disabled in registry).

3COM Officeconnect 3CRWE554G72T 802.11G Router (Also Connected to a Cable modem internet with L2TP). DHCP enabled.

Can't browse the internet with IE on the wifi clients, responds with a quick "dnserror" on the bottom and then a blank page with "page cannot be displayed". Outlook express still works though, and so does the router configuration page. on the wired machines all is well (both browsing and email).

I have the router configured as DHCP server. The L2TP connection to the internet is configured with 2 DNS servers. The ipconfig /all reports:

Ethernet adapter: Media disconnected

Wireless adapter:

DHCP Enabled: yes Ip address 192.168.x.x subnet 255.255.255.0 def. gateway: 212.117.x.x dns servers 212.117.x.x dns servers 212.117.x.x

If I enter a static address in the Wifi notebook it seems to solve the problem, but I think its only temprary until the next lease expires (I have a temp. lease IP). In any case I'd like the notebook to be without static IP so it can roam without a novice user having to change configurations. The 3COM config advises that automatic settings (i.e. not static) should work.

By the way I have WEP 128 bit encryption and router limits to home network MAC addresses only.

Its not any spyware (I scanned) nor Norton NIS that I have since I have it on the wired computers as well.

Thanks for any help..!

Reply to
developmental2
Loading thread data ...

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Never had any proxies defined. (it was always disabled).

Thanks

Reply to
developmental2

Need more info, details about the wireless router, model number firmware version, hardware version. What OS are the wireless clients running XP sp2, XP home, Win 98? What kid of wireless nics are in play. What do you show when you key:

at a DOS prompt on the wireless machines?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico
3COM Officeconnect 3CRWE554G72T 802.11G Router Latest firmware, Version v2.01.10

The malfunctioning wifi pc's are a win98se machine and an XP Pro SP2 notebook. Both are exhibiting the same symptoms: some of the time they work fine, but every day in the evening or so (could be related to the short lease IP I get from the IP provider)- when trying to surf, get a "dnserror" on the bottom and then a blank page with "page cannot be displayed". Outlook express still works though. At the same time, The fixed line machines on the same network work with no problem

thanks

Reply to
developmental2

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.