wifi and lightning: part duex

I made a Fry's run today to get one of those 10dbi omni antennas for $10 a pop. Of course they were sold out. While looking around the wifi section, I found a Trendnet wifi lightning protector for $29.99, which of course is much better than paying $30.

Reply to
miso
Loading thread data ...

Was the 10dbi omni a pricing mistake or some indoor rubber ducky? The price for the TEW-AO10O 10dbi fiberglass seems to hover around $65 - $75 mail order.

Thanks! I was wondering what I'd do about that. That and the Home Depot 8ft ~$10 lightning rod and I'm mostly set. (I'd add the URL but Home Depot seems to not want people to search for "lightning". All I get is hits for "lighting". I guess we know which department has the much higher markup. ;-))

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

There wasn't one to look at. It is from Airlink, so don't expect it to be very sexy.

I doubt Trendnet makes the protector. You may be able to find a similar device now that you know what to look for. As far as I can tell, much of what they supplied isn't useful, i.e. the threw in some cabling. In an outdoor installation, you will be cutting the cable "to fit" out of low loss cable with as few bends as possible. I'd use N connectors when possible as they fit fat, low loss cable.

Reply to
miso

Altelicon seems to have something similar and I've seen their name on stuff sold through lots of the online web wifi-merchants. I can't tell if Altelicon is the manufacturer or just an importer reselling the same stuff ast Trendnet is from overseas.

formatting link
formatting link
The trendnet marketed one does seem a few bucks cheaper.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

formatting link
formatting link

The Altelicon indicates it used a gas discharge tube, replacable too. The trendnet doesn't indicate how it works. For a bit more, I'd go with the Altelicon.

Reply to
miso

formatting link
the price, half the bandwidth. More here:
formatting link

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.