wifi 54.g via 11.b card

i am trying [very hard] to get a 16bit pcmcia wifi card for my palmtop but most of the products are 802.11.b the question is if i can connect with 11.b card to a 54.g network. i do not have control over acces point and cannot change it to 11b.

Reply to
szefte
Loading thread data ...

On 28 Apr 2007 05:30:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote in :

You can connect _if_ the access point doesn't have "b" disabled. Most don't disable "b".

Reply to
John Navas

Hi,

I use a 16-bit PCMCIA (Cisco Aeronet) 802.11b card with my 'ol HP Jornada

720 (H/PC) all the time.

As John already said, most (public) 802.11g AP's are left open to fallback with 802.11b.

802.11g wireless routers and AP's have an option on whether to allow 802.11b to work with them or not.

Even if it is enabled, something else that could prevent it's use is encryption though. If 802.11b fallback in enabled, but it is using WPA, chances are that you won't be able to use it. Not many (if any at all?) strickly 802.11b pieces of hardware support WPA.

At home, I use my J720 through an open (captive portaled) 802.11b AP, so I don't change my 802.11a/g AP's from WPA.

If you absolutetly must be able to use WPA, check hpcfactor.com and see if there is any 802.11g hardware listed there. It is geared towards H/PC, but lists 16-bit PCMCIA hardware. There may be such an animal out there. Probably have to go to Ebay to get your hands on it though. 802.11g won't give you better "speed" on a palmtop (palmtop is a bottleneck itself) than

802.11b, but would give you WPA if you absolutetly have to have it. Good luck!
Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.