WI-Spy

No, but I just ordered one. $103 total including shipping via Paypal. Claims will ship on Dec 22 (yesterday) which is a bit optimistic. We shall (soon) see.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Looks kinda interesting, 96ms sweep time is good, but they don't say anything about sensitivity, which is pretty important. I've already got a Proxim 7400-based "spectrum analyzer", which is nearly deaf and unusably slow....

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Let us know how it is! I almost ordered one myself, but I'll let Jeff do the honors.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Anybody tried one of these?

formatting link

Reply to
Frank

Yeah, it looks pretty good. I dropped them a line to find out if they had any sensitivity numbers, and got back:

/* I have attached the datasheet, which should have the sensitivity information you are looking for.

*/

The included document, however, is the same one found on their WWWebsite, and while I agree that it _should_ include the information I'm looking for, it clearly doesn't.

Another little tidbit:

/* Wi-Spy sweeps the 2.4 GHz ISM Band about 10 times/sec, and samples every 1 MHz.

*/

Let us know! The Proxim card sounds really neat, too, until you realize how slow and deaf it is. At least this one is faster! 8*)

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

The ability to download actual recordings seems as if it could be useful, especially if it is continually being added to.

formatting link

Reply to
Frank

Yeah, I have the same problem.

Try the AVI files to see how it should look.

formatting link
much better than the Proxim 7400 cards. If the calibration on the vertical sensitivity is accurate, it should be fairly sensitive. However, don't expect the same range as with a 802.11b/g connection. Without SS code synchronization, the de-correlation loss and the loss of the 10dB processing gain will drastically reduce sensitivity. The lack of an external antenna connector might be a problem. My guess(tm) is that this is really a USB dongle with frequency hopping firmware and software. That divides the band into 80-90 channels, each 1MHz wide (same as the Proxim 7400 FHSS card).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Did you look at those CSV file contents? All the values on the 3ea Wi-Fi recordings, at any frequency and at any time, are all around

-61dBm. Methinks they've goofed somewhere. Those files are useless. The GE Microwave CSV file looks reasonable.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.