wi-fi over a wide area - help needed.

Hi

I need to provide wireless internet access to a large green field site (only a couple of buildings on site) - it's a 4 day festival of around

5000 people, most of whom will camp, and I think only a very small proportion would use the facility.

We're starting from absolute scratch in providing this facility, and will even be installing a new phone line for broadband.....at this point I have two options,

1. I can provide internet access to artists and VIPs only, using a standard 'home' wireless router - it would only need to cover a house sized area with no brick walls to pass through. I think the maximum users would be 2 or 3 at once.....this is the easy option, and one I'm very comfortable with.

or

1. I can provide wi-fi to the full site (around 50 acres), from some advice I've already had, I think I can run this from a wireless router using a bridge and a powerful aerial.

What is there to stop me doing option 2? I have a couple of worries...

I'm not sure how many people will use the service, so guess that speed may be an issue if there are too many users (although I think it will be used mainly for email).

I'm concerned that we may need a very robust router - is there a limit to the amount of users that can the service at once?

What's a realistic range for 802.11g (if this is standard we should go for)

What does the bridge do, and why do I need one?

cost (within reason) is not a massive issue, but I'd like to install it myself if possible.

Apologies for all the questions, and any help and advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks Neil

Reply to
tireless.orion
Loading thread data ...

20-50 connections per AP, depending on the apps being run. You should probably filter torrents, ftp and the like high-bandwidth traffic, imho.

I'm assuming the person who told you this is thinking of you installing the user APs and antennas in the center of the field. The wireless bridge link is what will carry all the traffic out to your wired connection. You would still need to provide power to the remote APs of course.

My own take is that you'd install a temporary tower in the center of the field, with multiple semi-directional pie-shaped sector-antennas pointing downwards at an angle, with an AP attached to each antenna. That's one option, or use multiple planer antennas in a line along one side of the area.

If you do use a tower of some sort, there may be regulations covering height and installation. That's another subject I know nothing about.

rms

Reply to
rms

Being that this is just for a few days, you may want to just hook up a hotspot in a designated area, close to where the DSL connection will be coming in. This way users can come up with their laptops and access the connection. If you really want to cover the area, a mesh network will work. Using mesh technology and being that this is only a temp situation it can easily set up and torn down, IE you can avoid having to erect a tower. You mentioned some buildings on site, you may be able to use them as mounting locations. One group who has products is Meraki, and the link is below.

formatting link
I like the meraki as it is easy to set up. And also includes the use of a dashboard, that will redirect the users seeking access to a splash page where you can display terms of use, and even news about the local event. I am not a distributer of these guys, but I have set them up at some of the hunting camps here as well as the library to be used as an access point for free internet connection.

>
Reply to
Dana

Thanks. I think a hotspot would be the best route, this is an additional (and probably free) service we'll be offering so I'm too not convinced that full on coverage is necessary. Will look at the meraki site, I've heard their name a couple of times today.

Reply to
tireless.orion

I tend to agree that the use of a hotspot is all you may need for the event you are working on. Easy to set up and tear down, as well as a central point for management. Also the time and material required is more in line with what you want to accomplish. No need to worry about coverage, and the like.

>
Reply to
Dana

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.