Wi-Fi from house to garage/office HELP PLEASE?

Hi,

Trying to get Wi-Fi internet access from a house into office.

I have Group-Googled this and whilst the discussion seem to skirt around the main issue I thought I'd address a common point that seems to crop up;

"The Wi-Fi coverage in the garage (from the house is excellent), it has been tried with 2 different laptops and both report very good to excellent in every part of the garage."

In the garage there will be a small 4 pc network with a network printer. Also, to get net access on to the router in this office I assume I need an access point plugged into the router? Finally access to the office net from the house net maybe required at times, are there any extra things I should consider?

In the house we have a Wi-Fi DSL modem, I have planned a 5 port router + Access Point for the garage so the Wi-Fi is the "link" to the net plus the link between office net and house net.

Sound feasible?

Steve

Reply to
uP..AND..DOWn
Loading thread data ...

Hello Steve- It's late and I might not be thinking clearly but it looks like you are making this more complex than you need to. I suggest you buy a wireless router for the garage (with 4 RJ45 ports), bridge it to the house network for internet access and plug the garage devices right into it. Here is more detail

formatting link
. Good Luck. Gary

One Hour Wireless

formatting link
PROFESSIONAL, AFFORDABLE WI-FI SETUP FOR YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS FOR ONLY $99!

On Feb 13, 1:20 pm, "uP..AND..DOWn"

Reply to
OneHourWireless.com

What he wants is a >> wireless Ethernet [client] bridge Hello Steve- It's late and I might not be thinking clearly but it

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:20:09 -0000, "uP..AND..DOWn"

Hard to say -- you're not being clear on what you want to do in the garage. Will all the computers and the printer in the garage be wired or wireless? Were you quoting someone else, or is your signal actually good in the garage? If it is good, and you want wireless, why not just use wireless adapters in/for all the computers and the printer?

Reply to
John Navas

Yes, I was saying the Wi-Fi coverage in the garage (from the house) was very good.

Yes we want a network in the garage (one of the PCs will have a shared drive between all PCs in the office). Don't really want to do the option you describe so will get the router and put into Wireless Bridge mode as the earlier poster described.

Thanks all,

Steve

Reply to
uP..AND..DOWn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.