Wi-Fi Device Through the Ethernet Connection

Are there any wi-fi devices that connect to the computer through the RJ45 connection?

Reply to
J&D Schnoor
Loading thread data ...

Yep, Must wireless routers have a few switch ports. If that is what you are looking for.

>
Reply to
Dana

"J&D Schnoor" hath wroth:

Yep. There are wireless routers, wireless access points, and wireless ethernet bridges. Also wireless print servers, wireless RS-232 adapters, and wireless printers. Each has their own place in the galactic scheme of things. All can connect to a computah via an RJ-45 connector. If you would kindly disclose what you are trying to accomplish, it might be possible to suggest which of these would be appropriate.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Okay, what I have is a laptop computer and I don't have the PCMCIA card option, so I am just wondering if something like a wireless ethernet bridge would allow me to get access to a wi-fi network when staying at a hotel, etc.

Reply to
J&D Schnoor

"J&D Schnoor" hath wroth:

Absolutely. Methinks a "travel router" might be suitable. It is especially useful if you want to connect more than one device, such as a VoIP device. For example:

If these are overkill, then a simple wireless ethernet bridge will do. There's a list of possible candidates at:

The main problem is that unlike a wireless client that has all the connection information configured inside your laptop, both the wireless routers and wireless bridges need to be configured inside the router or bridge. Therefore, connecting is a 2 step process. First you select the SSID of the hot spot using a web browser pointing to your wireless router or bridge. It then issues your computer an IP address via DHCP. You can then connect to the hot spot and authenticate using the web browser. It's an additional step that sometimes causes some confusion, but that's the price of having an external ethernet connected wireless device. Note that some "travel routers" have a utility to make make this easier by storing commonly used connections on the laptop instead of inside the travel router.

Also, you might want to look around your unspecified model laptop and see if there is a USB connector available. If so, a USB wireless adapter is probably cheaper and easier to deal with.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thank you very much. I think that this might be exactly what I am looking for. And I see some pretty nice reviews on the unit.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
J&D Schnoor

As Jeff pointed out, the USB solution is very easy to implement. Personally I like the cigarette pack sized Linksys WUSB54G adapter as it had a flip up antenna that was closer to a true onmi antenna than the "loop antenna" that I've seen inside the USB dongles that act more like a dipole (disclaimer: others may have different experiences). Alas its been discontinued.

On the other hand, a "travel router" with an external antenna jack would be nice. I haven't used them, but I'm going to say it plays well with other access points as opposed to a Linksys WAP54G in client mode that only connects to other Linksys access points and wireless router. Also (and correct me if I'm wrong), a travel router might be USB powered where a stand alone device may need a wall-wart for power.

On a side note, the Hawking USB dongle can act like an access point (other brands might also work in that mode, Kind of like an ad-hoc set up, but better as you don't have to have everyone reconfig their wireless connection for ad-hoc under properties which may be beyond the skill set of brain dead cooperate managers). I really don't know as I hardly ever play with non-commercial grade home and small office gear. Ummm...unless Linksys as I'm a certified partner.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

If you don't need the extra features in a travel router, then the simplest solution would be a USB adapter. There are a few out there that take external antennas. You can just go with the internal if reception is good, or put the external antenna on to improve reception. Very compact.

formatting link
Hawking makes one like this too. They also make one with a fixed directional antenna for even better range. A bit bulkier.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Thank you for all of the replies so far. I have been out of town for a few days so I haven't had a chance to get back to this until now. Unfortunately, neither PCMCIA nor USB is an option in this particular case. I did get a chance to try a Belkin Wireless G Gaming Adapter and that did work, so now I am trying to narrow my focus on if I should buy a:

-Wireless Travel Router

-Wireless Gaming Adapter

-Wireless Ethernet Bridge

I suspect that I can probably eliminate a wireless ethernet bridge because I think that the wireless travel router and wireless gaming adapters will be more compact for travel. (Is that correct?) I am trying to get the best value for my money, of course. I suppose having the ability to connect an external antenna could be helpful, too, on occasion. The Belkin Wireless G Gaming Adapter that I tried seemed pretty good, but I just want to make sure that I don't buy it and then find out a week later that a different brand is better for whatever reason, be it price, range, ease of set up, etc.

Reply to
J&D Schnoor

This site has some helpful information, too. Can anyone suggest any good web sites so I can learn more about wifi? It looks like there are a number of sites out there, but I am just wondering what some of the best sites are.

formatting link

Reply to
J&D Schnoor

I have a 2 wireless bridges the wet11 and a wet54G that are only 5x4x2 inches. The game adapter by the same company WGA54G is 5x5x2 inches. Their WGA11B is 5x3x1 inches.

Reply to
David

I like how that site considers the Newegg user ratings as well as magazine reviews. Magazine reviews miss a lot about real-world use. Consumersearch figured out that the Buffalo router is very popular even though none of the experts really reviewed it.

Here's the usual link for wireless info:

formatting link

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.