Why Samsung Galaxy S3 has horrid grammar (e.g., "Who do you want to call?")

Are you simonedangleo or are you Donna Olsen? you seem to post as both.

I'm one of those who think whoever you are you are seriously misinformed about what constitutes "every" and "educated". Also you have a strange view of what is weird.

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir
Loading thread data ...

Also a typo? Does it have to be "...not a tidy ass,..."?

Reply to
Mr Pumpov

Really? I guess my grade school, high school, college, and grad school years were wasted, then. The usage doesn't sound at all weird to me.

Do you finish your written correspondence with "Your obedient servant"?

Reply to
tony cooper

Two comments:

1. If we allow "who" to have different rules than we already have for he/him, she/her, we/they, etc., then the morons will have succeeded in making a simple personal pronoun rule into one with exceptions. The result will actually be more complicated rules, than we have today.

1. Personally, I've asked many people who used 'who' instead of 'whom why they do so; their answer almost invariably was that they didn't know the rules.

Hence my conclusion: The morons will eventually succeed, unknowingly, in making what is currently a simple personal pronoun rule, into a complicated set of rules containing needless exceptions.

Reply to
Johannes

The "rules" are a description of the language and the way it is used.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson (BrE)

I don't even like to use "Yours sincerely" anymore, which is pretty innocuous. I tend to go with "Best wishes" even in formal business or begging letters.

You should see some of the French constructions that are still in use.

Je vous prie d'accepter l'assurance de mes respectueux hommages,

Warren

PS There's a story about how Edward VII's valet once wrote to him and closed with "Your most obedient servant" which was apparently considered quite humourous at the time.

Reply to
Warren Oates

a. "Who" is not a personal pronoun. The other interrogative and relative pronouns already have similar rules.

b. Two personal pronouns, "it" and "you," already have similar rules.

¬R
formatting link
You are already too educated stupid to understand the truth of nature's harmonic simultaneous 4-liter wine cube
Reply to
Glenn Knickerbocker

Nobody said otherwise.

What I said was that the morons, needlessly and unknowingly, will actually make the language rules more complicated, in the guise of making it simpler for them.

Currently, the rule is simple: - Who is on the phone; the phone call is for whom? - He is on the phone; the phone call is for him? - She is on the phone; the phone call is for her?

With the rules being propagated by the morons taking force, this simple symmetry will be needlessly complicated to something similar to the following bastardization: - Whom is on the phone; who is the phone call for? - Him is on the phone; the phone call is for he? - Her is on the phone; the phone call is for she?

In short, the morons are ruining this otherwise wonderful language.

Reply to
Johannes

I man is on the 'phone.

Reply to
Warren Oates

We morons have already won. I haven't heard anyone say "whom" for years, that I can recall offhand. Otherwise I would have looked at them like they were a moron.

Let's ask googlefight about the simple sentence "Who/Whom do you want to win" (as an example).

This indicates that less than 1% of the population would use "whom" instead of "who". That makes you (and your moron colleagues) quite a minority.

Oops. I thought this was rec.food.cooking. Where am I? How did I get here?

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

That's nothing compared to what they're doing to the rest of the world. Can we get any more petty here?

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Correction. The morons have 'almost' won.

At this point, it seems only the literate minority knowingly notice the improper "who" ceaselessly emanating from the unwashed mouths of the untidy proles, who daily reveal a severe lack of education in their very vernacular.

Reply to
Johannes

I take it you don't go to many "Talk Like a Pirate Day" parties, do you.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz
[snip]

This isn't a good example, because "whom" isn't correct in this case. (Unless, e.g. people were being auctioned off, and the pronoun is the object of the verb "win".)

Scott

Reply to
Scott Hemphill

I don't see it as being any different than "Who/whom do you want to call".

Of course you can go Googlefight what *you* think is a proper phrase and you'll find pretty much the same results.

Where were all you anal retentives when they were defining and teaching rules like, "I before E except after C" and "A, E, I, O, U and *sometimes* Y".

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Really? Would you say "I want he to win"?

¬R The anti-suffragists will continue to be eligible, won't they?
formatting link
--Ida Husted Harper
Reply to
Glenn Knickerbocker

Nevermind. ;-)

Scott

Reply to
Scott Hemphill

Does the story happen to mention why this might be considered quite humourous?

Reply to
alexd

I also wonder whether it's possible to 'fix' my Samsung Galaxy SVoice so that it simply asks "Whom do you wish to call?".

It grates on my nerves to have my kids see "who" in that context, when I've been admonishing them for years to use "whom".

Reply to
James Gagney

shim? - We are on the phone; the phone call is for wim?

- You are on the phone; the phone call is for youm? - It is on the phone; the phone call is for tim?

¬R
Reply to
Glenn Knickerbocker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.