Why is wireless broadband so expensive in the US?

AT&T recently cancelled their unlimited 3G service for the iPad. Now extra gigabytes cost $10. Verizon charges as much as $256 per gigabyte for their mobile broadband service.

Does anyone know why it's so expensive here in the US?

I was thinking about going with Datajack. They were advertising unlimited 3G for $39.99 per month, no contract, but they changed it to $49.99 per month for five gigabytes. No word on what additional gigabytes cost.

Does anyone offer unlimited 3G for a reasonable price? If not, can I get additional gigabytes for less than $1 from anyone?

Is this likely to change anytime soon?

Reply to
Bill C
Loading thread data ...

Because: 1. They can 2. Abuse of wireless data plans 3. Network overloading from iPhone and Android data users 4. Less competition due to different phone standards

T-Mobile still offers "unlimited" data:

or

It's likely to get worse for consumers, not better.

Reply to
John Navas

I thought WiMax was supposed to offer cheap wireless broadband. What happened to that?

Reply to
Bill C

Big government and big corporations. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Here in Brazil when the government threatened to step in and offer unlimited access at 25 dollars , the services suddenly improved. Lots of nice offers appeared. I finally got my broadband after a two-year wait :) Might work in US of A ? []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Too much in the public interest -- Republicans would undoubtedly block it on behalf of their wealthy corporate sponsors.

Reply to
John Navas

Would it be possible for communities to get together to form their own wireless networks? Is there anything that could be put together that wouldn't cost more than say $200 per user that could scale up to a small city?

Reply to
Bill C

Sure -- I know of groups of rural users who have done that, but it's a big hassle for whoever gets stuck with the operation. Small ISP is another possibility -- see

Reply to
John Navas

Sonic.net looks interesting, but they're not in my area.

Reply to
Bill C

Would it be possible for communities to get together to form their own wireless networks? Is there anything that could be put together that wouldn't cost more than say $200 per user that could scale up to a small city?

{{

In NC TWC has or is trying to push through legislation that would prohibit municipal supported systems.

Reply to
NotMe

I have seen that in action and believe me it is not less expensive because the hardware needs to be upgraded on a regular basis.

Reply to
Rick

I'm glad I don't live in NC.

I'd settle for WiFI if it were available in more locations. It doesn't have to be free either, just REASONABLE. It seems like just about everyone has a wireless router these days. We should be able to find a way to share them safely and inexpensively.

Reply to
Bill C

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

wrote:

iPad. Now

per gigabyte

advertising

changed it to

additional

not, can I

in and

suddenly improved.

after a

undoubtedly block

Of course you could do the smart thing, get yourself a good radio and antenna and just take the wifi where you can find it. Plenty of open connections out there. Price per month $0. Of course, then you risk having Navas call you a thief, but who cares?

Reply to
john

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.