Why is my router so slow?

I have a D-Link wireless router (Di-524) and DSL internet. When I connect my computer with a network cable directly into the ISP modem, downloading pages from the internet is quite fast. But when I put the router in between the modem and the computer, it's quite slow. For example, when there's not router, a page might take 2 seconds to load. With the router, it takes over ten seconds to load. I have tried it with two different computers and many different websites, and it's always the same. It doesn't matter whether the computer is connected to the router wirelessly or with a cable. Either way it's just as slow (both wired and wireless). The router shouldn't be the bottleneck because its bandwidth capabilities are much higher than the ISP.

I went to one of those websites where you can test your internet speed by downloading a large file from the website, and I was surprised that the test showed only a slight decrease in speed using the router. It was only about 10% slower when using the router compared to not using it. But when showing a web page, it seems like pages take 5 to 10 times longer to load when using the router. I think this is because the download test website was doing one big file, and maybe the router doesn't slow it down in that case, but that with a web page there are lots of little files, and maybe there's some sort of standard overhead slowdown with each file.

Do you have any ideas that could help me? Are there settings I should change? Should I get a new router?

thanks in advance, John

Reply to
Big Daddy
Loading thread data ...

Are you connected to Di-524 with wireless or cable? What is the speed of your internet connection?

Reply to
Chrisjoy

My computer can be connected to the di-524 with either wireless or cable and it's just as slow either way. I just did a bandwidth test and here are my results:

Not using the router: download = 1290 kb/s upload = 527 kb/s

Using the router, connected wirelessly: download = 1262 kb/s upload = 518 kb/s

Using the router, connected with a cable: download = 1290 kb/s upload = 529 kb/s

Like I said in the original post, there isn't much difference when downloading a big file. The difference is how long it takes web pages to display.

thanks John

Reply to
Big Daddy

I reset my router back to the factory default settings, and it seemed to fix it. I checked the firmware and it was up-to-date. So I did a reset and entered in all the exact same settings that was there before, but it somehow fixed it.

Reply to
Big Daddy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.