Why IP address is fixed everytime connected to the Internet?

-------------------------------------------------- NAT

formatting link
Find the IP Address assigned by your ISP
formatting link

Reply to
RWS
Loading thread data ...

Hey ..

Your ISP assigns you a IP address...for phone modems i think you will get a dynamic address..or if the ISP has the DHCP enabled then you will get A dyanamic IP..

Azhar Attari Bachelor of CS

Reply to
azhar attari

Your ISP will like as not assign a dynamic IP to your modem; the lease time could be a set time, or until you power off/on the modem.

If your PC connects directly to the modem (i,e, there is no router involved), you must makes sure that you have a firewall in place, at the very least, Microsoft XP's own one if you are using XP. ZoneAlarm do an excellent free on which I have found reliable as heck for 2 years.

If you have a router, then d>> I want to ask who assigns the IP address to a machine that connects to

Reply to
__spc__

It can also be a good idea because the protection afforded by the router varies considerably from product to product. What you described is just NAT/PAT (address translation), and although that does provide some measure of protection, it's not as good as true SPI (stateful packet inspection) firewall in the router. Some routers just have NAT/PAT; better ones have an SPI firewall.

Also note that if you use a "DMZ" feature in the router (a horrid misuse of the term "DMZ" IMHO), then you've probably eviscerated *all* router protection. The so-called DMZ feature on most low-end routers is (a) not really a DMZ at all and (b) a big security risk to the entire LAN. A true DMZ isolates a separate public server from the LAN so that compromise of the server doesn't put the LAN at risk.

Reply to
John Navas

How about surfing through a proxy server to ease the paranoia? I suppose you have to trust the proxy. A quick google finds this among many:

formatting link

Reply to
bjs555

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.