Why does Windows 2000 and XP need to reinstall drivers after replugging in USB wireless network adapters?

Hello.

I have a question which is a strange usability. How come Windows XP Professional SP2 and 2000 SP4 (both OS' with all updates) need to reinstall the network driver after disconnecting and reconnecting an USB network adapter? It doesn't matter if I do it when I am in Windows or when the computer is off.

I see this happened with an old D-Link AirPlus DWL-120+ USB Adapter and a Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model: HWU54D).

Is there a way to avoid this? It becomes a pain to keep doing this and reset up. Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
ANTant
Loading thread data ...

Hmmm, I did replug in the same plug.

Reply to
ANTant

USB drivers are specific to USB ports. So if you install the device in your first USB port then unplug it and insert it again in your second port, you will have to reinstall the driver. But once the driver is installed and associated with a specific port, you should not have to do it again.

This is also true if using a HUB or a switch. everytime you plug it into a different port on the HUB/Switch you will have to reinstall the drivers...

Robert....

Reply to
DLink Guru

Isn't the great idea of USB ports that they are totally interchangeable at all times, even during runtime?

Henry.

Reply to
Henry Hooray

nope......

Reply to
DLink Guru

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.