Why does Netgear WGT624 wireless router "lose" the PC but keep the Mac?

Like I said - you're talking out of pure ignorance. Those of us who have actually used both platforms for years know the deal. Only after you have a few years of Mac usage under your belt will you truly have anything worth salt to say.

Reply to
Jolly Roger
Loading thread data ...

I don't know but out of the 3 OSes I have at home, OpenBSD, OS X, and XP, XP is the biggest piece of shit when it comes to Wifi. I use OpenBSD on this IBM T40 laptop, NEVER lose my connection to my AP, my girlfriend sitting right next to me with her Dell D600 laptop with a variety of 802.11a/b/g cards (built-in Intel; Cardbus Prism 2, Atheros, Ralink chips, and various manufacturers using those chips) loses her connection far too often. I gave up troubleshooting her laptop.

My Mac and my OpenBSD T40 (I have XP on it but rarely boot it, when I do, I suffer the same problems my girlfriend does) work flawlessly. Every time she loses a connection I just point to mine and tell her I'd be happy to install OpenBSD for her.

Greg

Reply to
G.T.

Wow, I have the opposite problem. My Dell M60 has great WIFI range, basically anywhere in my house or yard and even at the neighbors house from my access point. With my G4 iBook I can only get about 30 feet from the access point and I start dropping the connection.

Also, even when I am in the same room as the access point I can't view movies from my desktop's shared iTunes library to the iBook, frames consistently drop out and the audio and video never sync. But my Dell can view the shared iTunes movies anywhere in the house.

Maybe my iBook has a bad airport card.

Brent

Reply to
Brent

Check out macfixit.com. I think I saw an article about it there.

Reply to
Maverick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.