Why does Linksys suck?

Linksys WPC54G wireless card on Windows 2000. Repeatedly get "You are connected to the access point, but the Internet cannot be found". All sorts of hocus-pocus on the internet about malware, improperly configured routers, certain encryptions selections, the need for DHCP (even if they are properly set). The real solution, at least in some cases, is if you reboot enough, you can eventually connect. Isn't that wonderful? So much for hibernating your work in the middle of something and resuming elsewhere. For linksys, wireless does not mean nomadic.

Reply to
JustA MereUser
Loading thread data ...

In fact, even if you stay in the range of the *same* access point, you can't even pull out the card to save power until you need to connect. Or rather, you can, but you need to reset the card. Twice. That means pulling it out again, waiting 30 seconds and pushing it in. It seems to work better if the monitor is running when you do this (this is Win2K, not XP). Of course, this has never been conclusively repeatable. It's a bit like arcane incantations. Get cat gut on a full moon, do a shaky-shaky around in a circle, waving the card in your other hand. And if the constellations are aligned, you might get lucky.

Reply to
JustA MereUser

As I understand it, you have a working internet connection and then hibernate your laptop and resume your work and internet connection at another location (wireless access point).

If this is correct, then what you are experience is very normal. Its NOT a Linksys card issue. You are simply not correctly connecting to the new access point.

Usually the best way to do what you want is keep the wireless connection set for dynamic IP and server assigned DNS. That way it solves a lot of problems.

Reply to
DTC

What does IPCONFIG say? Start -> run -> cmd IPCONFIG

Yep. Wireless is magic.

Incidentally, you can get into that situation by setting your wireless client to connect to ANY access point. I've lost count of how many users complain about not being able to maintain a connection, only to find that they're connected to the neighbors access point. Of course, they don't have the correct WPA key, so the client says "connected but no internet", which is what you're getting. If you want to complain, yell at Microsoft for not including connection progress messages, and Linksys for following in Microsoft's footsteps.

Yep. If you roll the dice enough, you might eventually connect to your own access point.

Hibernation is another horror story. It can wait as I'm busy scraping the rust off a very used drill press and needed a break from the fumes.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've found that with my internal mini-PCI card in my Dell C610 laptop, if I go to sleep, and then wake up - the WiFi is "iffy"... I don't think my card gets properly re-started, and therefore, re-connected. In my case, the latest Bios doesn't recognize the later card...and probably doesn't know it's there. Sometimes, I can do a "repair" or a "disable/enable" and it works - sometimes it doesn't.

Reply to
P.Schuman

Actually, it's not just after resumption from hibernation. It also runs into problems when disconnecting from one access point and trying to access another. Need to reboot, often more than once.

The mobile is set to DHCP, and the IP address is not always easy to know ahead of time, especially in public acess points.

Reply to
JustA.MereUser

==================================================== I had the same problem with the same adapter on a Win 2000 machine. I removed the adapter and uninstalled the files associated with it, rebooted pluggen the adapter and installed the driver from the cd. last I installed the monitor program from the CD , and it has worked perfectly ever since. I know it goes against the instructions supplied with the adapter BUT, hey, it worked perfect Dave

Reply to
DaveBl

Correction. The WPC54G's "monitor" application does not have an option to disconnect. However, the same flaky connectivity occurs when trying to switch access points, regardless of whether one hibernates and resumes. I have found that it "sometimes" works to simply pull the card and push it back in.

As well, in going through the steps to set up the profile for an access point, I have not encountered the option of specifying server assigned DNS. However, logging in as admin and going to Start->Settings->NetworkAndDialupConnections->LocalAreaConnection4(the WPC54G)->Properties->TCP/IP_properties shows that DHCP is set, as well as DNS being automatically obtained from the network.

Since I'm griping, I might as well throw in another complaint. Why on earth would "monitor" GUI be designed so you can only see the leading part of the fields, including SSID? You can never be sure what you're connecting to, which is kind of disconcerting since you're entering in the password. Normally, when you can't see the entire field, there is a way to scroll the date.

Reply to
JustA.MereUser

I can't duplicate the access problems right now despite switching access points. However, from memory, the IP address (and other addresses) are sometimes nonsensical, consisting of some combination of zeros and 255's. Other times, the IP address won't change from the old access point. Not that it necessarily should, since the new access point could very well serve out the same address. There are sometimes, too, when the IP address doesn't look blatanly pathological, but takes on a value that is very typical of a nonworking condition (which I can't recall right now). When the connection *does* work, the IP address is always close to 192.168.1.64. I believe the last value changes dependin on whether there is more than one device connecting the access point.

That isn't the case here. I think you can set to connect to any access point in Windows XP, but I'm using the WPC54G's "monitor" application, and I've always had to explicitly connect to a specific access point.

Like I said, it doesn't look like randomly connecting to access points is the case here

Yes, hibernation has its problems, but the same issues arise when I simply change access points without hibernating.

Reply to
JustA.MereUser

I find it problematic even switching access points without necessarily hibernating and re-awakening. Sometimes, it helps to pull the card, wait for a minute, and reinsert. However, it might take a few tries.

Reply to
JustA.MereUser

Hmm. OK. Thanks. I'll have to keep that trick up my sleeve for when I get fed up with the current symptoms. Thanks mucho.

Reply to
JustA.MereUser

This is getting hard to understand. The card is about 2 feet away from the access point, yet it doesn't show up in the list of access points. With enough refreshes, it evetually shows up with

100% signal strength. Bizzarre.....
Reply to
JustA.MereUser

============

Hello,

I've found with hardware over the past 25 years that the majority of times it works as designed. Perhaps some users are asking for functionality that wasn't by design. Check your computer settings. Every piece of Linksys I've ever purchased works as it is supposed to. If I find there is something I feel isn't correct I recheck my works first. Most of the time it's a "picnic" -- that is Problem In Chair Not In Computer!

Reply to
HT Smith

Yeah...they work as advertised,,,but for a limited time only!

Reply to
Harrison Stepter's ghost

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.