Why Can't I run two DSL lines in the same CAT5E cable??

There are two DSL lines on my property and they both work fine but each on each side of the yard.

I decided to run them together in a single CAT5E cable to my two DSL modems using 4 wires of one DSL line and 4 wires for the other one.

One line works perfect until I connect the other 4 wires for the 2n line then each DSL line dies! I can connect one or the other but not both. I would like to know why?

Sure I can run two separate CAT5E cables and wire them to 568A or B standards but would I dont see why I couldnt run each DSL line in the same cable?

Thanks! Thomas Redman Los Angeles, CA

Reply to
Tom
Loading thread data ...

This question has nothing to do with wireless. You might get a better answer in a DSL related newsgroup.

Think about how the DSL lines run from the CO (central office) to your MPOE (minimum point of entry) or demarc. You have at least 10,000 ft of twisted pair, unshielded wire, in the same bundle, going between the CO and your MPOE. Yet, you seem to be having a problem running perhaps a few feet of wire between the MPOE and your DSL modems. The telco can make it work over 10,000ft, and you can't over a few additional feet. My guess(tm) is that you did something wrong with the wiring, splitter, DSL filters, color code, terminations, connectors, or whatever is between the MPOE and your DSL modems.

Duz it work when you run two seperate cables?

Incidentally, I suggest 568B color coding to avoid insanity. Most of the patch cables come wired 568B (even though 568A is the official standard).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

clarify - are these the raw DSL lines coming from the demarc ? ie - there are just 2-wires - with the high freq DSL signal riding on the same pair as your telco voice line.

SO - I'm not exactly sure what "4 wires" you are talking about, unless you just extended the usual blue + blu/wht and the org + org/wht, etc

Reply to
P.Schuman

Exactly the telco runs over a thousand feet of twisted wire and I'm only running 400 ft across my property and I have this problem.

I am going with two CAT5E cables as that solves the problem but was just trying to figure out what could be the problem.

Thank you! Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Tom, my DSL comes in on one twisted pair, not four wires.

I think you're mis-wiring something.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

DSL needs only one pair, not two. That's two wires, not four, for each DSL set up.

You should be able to run this type of setup with absolutely no trouble at all. If you have trouble then it's either bad wiring or bad wire.

There are 4 twisted pairs in a CAT5 bundle. Each based on a color: blue/blue-white, orange/orange-white, green/green-white, brown/brown-white. You should be able to put one DSL pair on, say, blue and the other on orange (or whatever combo you'd like). Just make sure you're sticking with one color/color-white pair for each line. Do not split pairs and do not combine pairs.

Test your pairs and make sure you don't have a short somewhere. That would certainly cause the sort of trouble you're seeing.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

You certainly can.

IF..IF...you indeed have TWO telco dial-tone/DSL circuits where you have two separate accounts from the telco with two telephone numbers and two DSL assignments, THEN you can extend them up to several hundred feet.

Is that really what you have going on there? If it is, then you have a wiring problem.

Keep the first telco circuit on the White/Blue pairs and second circuit on the white-orange pairs and it will work.

Reply to
DTC

400ft of CAT5 should not be a problem. I suggest you try an experiment first. Take a 500ft roll of CAT5 and just connect the ends to the MPOE and the cable modem(s). The idea is to test the system before laying the cable. It also avoids any problems with noise pickup (fluorescent ballasts, xfomers, motors, etc). If it works on the spool, then try rolling it out. It *SHOULD* work.

Also, various modems have internal diagnostics which include S/N ratio, line levels, and error rate. Try it with the modem plugged into the MPOE (no CAT5), and then again at the end of the CAT5 spool. Also, I've seen CAT5 with broken wires in the spool, but only once. Check continuity with an ohms guesser.

Of course there's the obvious problem of pair selection. Don't create a wiring maze where you end up with split pairs. You only need two pairs out of the 4 pair cable. Don't double up pairs as that will increase the crosstalk.

That which is most obviously correct, beyond any need of checking, is usually the problem. This should be easy (famous last words).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why two pairs, Jeff? My DSL comes in on a POTS line on one pair.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The OP appears to indicate he has two DSL circuits.

Reply to
DTC

Yep. However, he has two phone lines. (See title of article). One pair for each phone line.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Why four wires each? There are only two live wires for each phone line.

Sonic.net is running 30Mbps to someone's house on a pair of DSL lines. I didn't read the article closely, but maybe there's a technical hint in there.

formatting link
"30Mbps to Tye's house"

Reply to
dold

The short answer is, Yes you can. Actually you should be able to run four of them on one cat5 cable. The long answer.... A DSL circuit runs on a single pair of wires (two wires) from the telco to your property. Not knowing how you're cat5 cable is terminated or how your circuits appear from telco it's hard to tell you how to make your setup work however knowing if this a residential or commercial install I can only make assumptions but if you have a 400' run I'll assume commercial. Even with that assumption their are alot of varibles. Most of the time I see Telco's deliver a pots dsl circuit on a telephone style biscuit jack (meaning you can plug any type of rj-11/14 line cord into it) normally what I do is plug a single dsl filter into this jack and crimp my own rj-14 jack on a pair of a cable (blue pair for clean dial time, orange pair for dsl) then I usually terminate this cable on inside wiring blocks (such as 66 blocks or 110 blocks) from there I cross connect them to the devices, such as the dsl modem (for the dsl side) and the into a phone system or fax machine for the dial tone side.

If your cat5e cable is on a patch panel the easiest way to split out the pairs would be to build a custom cable that has a single rj45 on one end and splitting the pairs out on the other end.. how you choose to do this is entirely up to you. If you have a 568b cat5 cable that you cut one end off the blue pair is pair one and the green pair is pair two, or just make sure it's you use the same color pairs on both ends.

Being a inside telephone guy this is everyday stuff for me, unless it's super easy to run the cable I would look into using the cable that's in place if you have the know how to do this right.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.