Who is my ISP I popped in via wireless?

I have changed my notebook for a WiLAN-able notebook. Surprisingly enough, at home, suddenly I was informed that wireless network is provided around. So I hooked up happily, but I do not know, is it illegal?, does it do harm to someone?, who is the ISP? how can I trace them and come to terms with them?

Reply to
jvajda
Loading thread data ...

What is the SSID/Network name that you connected to?

This will help determine if it's an ISP or a home system.

Normally, if you're picking up wireless in your house, it's within about a 5 house radius from you. The stronger the signal, the closer they are.

Chris

formatting link

Reply to
NetSteady

Thanks, that seems logical. The SSID is SMC which is the name of a wireless hardware company, so the wireless I have picked up is named after the WiLAN card?

Reply to
jvajda

yes, I did that already and tried to find out the DNS server. ripe.net database could not be more specific. Is it possible, that the houshold access point owner I have been connected to realized my presence and could stop providing the internet access to my notebook's physical address. I am asking this because from one moment on I am not having internet although the wireless connection is still alive, but when I installed the DWL card to another notebook with the same setting, the internet is working again.

Reply to
jvajda

My interest in the neighbor's wireless connection is quite innocent but prefer to share costs and get permission. That is the reason I wish to find them.

Reply to
jvajda

Since in wireless environment, MAC address equals physical address, you are also saying that a user can be excluded from internet access by prohibiting the PC (or notebook) physical address (MAC address). Is this exactly what happened to me?

Reply to
jvajda

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (jvajda) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

That's most likely the default SSID programmed into the access point by the manufacturer which the owner hasn't bothered to change, which is more evidence that it's a household installation.

If you really want to track this down, try running "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt (you do appear to be running Windows XP).

Find the entry for your wireless adapter and you'll see several IP addresses. The one labeled "IP Address" is the dynamic address assigned to your PC and is probably not too useful. The one labled "Default Gateway" is the address of the access point and most likely will be a dynamic address too, and also won't be useful. On the off chance that it's not a dynamic address, you can go to

formatting link
(I'm assuming that you're really in Hungary as you appear to be) and enter the IP address into the "RIPE WHOIS Database Search" to find out who owns that address. If there are addresses in the "DNS Servers" field, you can do the same with those.

None of this is likely to be of much use in finding out which individual owns the access point you've connected to, just the name of the ISP he buys his service from.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (jvajda) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Access control on a per-system basis is done only by MAC address, so far as I know, and the MAC address is a property of the network interface. So, if your wireless card worked in another PC, something else must have stopped your other machine from connecting.

Still, a disinterested outside observer might begin to think that your interest in your neighbor's wirless connection is no longer so innocent.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I did not steal any data, just happened to find the internet access. If I can steal data I already know from whom I am stealing, but that is far from my intentions.

Reply to
jvajda

because it is only available via 56 Kbit modem in my area which I have for years.

Reply to
jvajda

why dont you buy your own internet access, holy shit good idea !

Reply to
Robert Luciwell

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (jvajda) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Again, so far as I know, the MAC address is a property of the network interface, not your PC per se.

Since you have a removable wireless NIC that you move from laptop to laptop, the MAC address is a property of that NIC, and moves with it.

So, if the connection works when the card is in one machine, but not in another, the reason for the connection failing is ->not due to MAC address filtering.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

You need to come to terms with yourself for stealing data. Find out who it belongs to and tell them to make it secure.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

If you're connecting to a neighbor's WiFi access point, then he won't have any faster Internet connection than you do.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

If you're connecting to a neighbor's WiFi access point, then he won't have any faster Internet connection than you do.

-- Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

The 56 Kbit modem internet I was refering to is my regular connection, but I stopped using it while the wireless has become "available".

The two notebooks have different unchangeable physical address (people say that is the MAC), does not matter they are connected to any network or not.

Reply to
jvajda

I don't believe quite that.

Your posting IP address is: 193.224.84.125 Plugging into:

formatting link
find that you're in Budapest, Hungary. RDNS puts you at: sun1.oiti.hu International house of learning boarding house. OK, a school domatory.

Traceroute doesn't make it past your router but shows: c72-gbeth0-2.adsl.vh.hbone.hu as the last hop. This is obviously an ADSL connection which implies that ADSL in available in your area.

Reconnect to your neighbors system. If they dumb enough to leave encryption turned off, they probably also didn't set a password on the router. Connect to the router with a web server and see what you find on the "status" page for his IP address. Use:

formatting link
find the his ISP.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the info. I wanted to know just that. You have to believe me, in my area for home internet user there is only 56 Kbite/sec modem available or limited service for huge money. That is why I want to negotiate with this wireless ISP, that I am using now, sort of illegally.

Reply to
jvajda

Jeff, you are right but also you are wrong. I posted my first letter from my office in OITI, that is National Institute of Neurosurgery, Budapest. I am concerned about internet service at home.

Reply to
jvajda

Obviously not.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Sorry. I tried to translate the Hungarian from the web site into English. There was one word that didn't translate.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.