Who is connected to my wireless?

Hi All,

Is there a way I could send message/s to anyone who is connected to my wireless internet? (Netopia 3347WG, modem & router combo) I do not need to keep them out, only to let them know that I know they are there.

Thanks

Biggy

Reply to
bigceetwo
Loading thread data ...

I think you would have to do that O/S to O/S with something like using the NET Send command, which I think you can point to the LAN IP and send a message. However, both O/S(s) may have to be NT based like Win 2K or XP and the Messenger service on the O/S(s) enabled/active.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Windoze: Start -> Run -> cmd NET SEND * "Big Neighbor is watching you!"

You may need to specify their machine name. Run: NET VIEW for a list of machines.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

... and if they're not running windows, you could try rsh'ing to their machine and opening an xterm or something with an informative title. That should get their attention.... Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Only if Messenger Service is running. Few people leave Messenger Service enabled anymore.

Reply to
SMS

Unless Windows XP is actually shipping with it disabled, now (I've no idea, as I don't run it on my own machines) it's unlikely that a very large percentage of users actually disable it. Most users still (a) don't see the danger in running without firewalls; and (b) couldn't configure one _or_ disable Messenger anyway.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Derek Broughton hath wroth:

I just checked a newly installed HP laptop. Messenger service off by default. Same with my W2K home system.

For the truely paranoid:

formatting link
For the lazy, run: net stop messenger net start messenger You'll get an error message trying to start it if the Services list shows that Messenger is set to "disabled" instead of "manual".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Only one of five machines popped the window up here, an ancient Win2K machine. IIRC, the default for XP is disabled...

For the OP, you could snoop his traffic and determine his Email identity... 8*) Or put up a Web portal notifying him of your observation.

[Why not just secure it? Check out the other thread, where someone asked about running BitTorrent on their (unknown) neighbor's WiFi...]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Hi, Thanks to everyone. I tried most of the suggestions on my 2 computers and nothing worked. When I used (the program) netsend (not the command net send) I was able to send a message to myself, ie on the same computer. First I had to enable and start the messenger service, which is disabled by default.

The router software tells me who is connected, I just need to tell those connected wirelessly "I know you are there!". Bit torent or bit torrent is my next stop.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
bigceetwo

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

Well, if you control the router, you could easily setup a proxy server for port 80 (HTTP). That will allow you to insert messages and comments into viewed web pages as well as control access with a splash screen. Lots of fun but I'm not sure exactly how to impliment this.

Much more simpler, you can just have a splash screen appear when they try to view any web pages.

NoCatSplash:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Turn on security, end of problem.

What problem exactly are you trying to solve here?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

You can send a message, but whether a user sees it is up to them. Unless a user's computer is listening on the port you want to send to, it'll get ignored. You can, on the other hand, look at HTTP requests they're sending, intercept their traffic and put your message in there. Note, however, that this would probably be illegal in many places in the world.

Alun Harford

Reply to
Alun Harford

XP service pack 2 disables Messenger service.

Also some pop up stopers probably stop it also.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.