Which security mode to use?

I read somewhere that WPA was a better mode to use but my Atheros mini pci card looses it's ability to authenticate every now and then. I rebooted, reinstalled the card's drivers - no luck. Finally I turned off security and then I got a connection. I disabled the card, switched to Ethernet and accessed my WRT54g (v4)( DD-WRT v23). Once in the router, I set for static WEP, put in a passphrase and generated a key. I copied that to my Atheros software and now everything works but I'm worried about security.

Also, my Atheros software only supports these modes:

WPA WPA Passphrase 802.1x Static WEP none

I'm having a tough time making sense of all these modes and to make things worse, DD-WRT uses different names for modes. Someone please help me pick the right mode! Ungh!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Bessler
Loading thread data ...

Use WPA-PSK (WPA Passphrase). Make sure to use the same key in all devices, and don't confuse ASCII with hex.

Reply to
John Navas

"Ken

That's what I was using. What about all those other modes DDwrt supports? Do any of them translate to the above list?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Bessler

WPA Requires a Radius server (you don't have) WPA Passphrase WPA-PSK (what you should use)

802.1x Won't work unless your computer supports it too Static WEP Poor none Really bad idea
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.