Which of these is a good small hotel travel wireless router?

Get yourself a cheap firewall/router and use both computers at the same

> time. You do need to check that the hotel is not using the same numbers > as you firewall/router is dishing out. 10.255.255.x would work as good > as anything for your firewall/router to dish out. Most devices and most > prople use 192.168.x.x You could get away with using 1.0.0.x but you > are not supposed to as they are reserved numbers.

What do experts recommend for a compact travel hotel router/firewall? I googled and found these but do you recommend any one in particular?

Unfortunately, none seem to be USB powered, so that means yet another power supply for the business traveler! :(

• D-Link DWL-G730AP
  • Linksys WTR54GS
  • 3Com OfficeConnect 11g
  • Belkin F5D7233
  • Asus WL-530g
  • Netgear WGR101

Is any one brand or model preferred for your typical business traveler who values compact size and as few power supplies and cables as possible?

Reply to
Mike S.
Loading thread data ...

I use this (none of the above, works with ethernet, but also has a dialup modem in it)...

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

Mike S. wrote: ...

The WGR101 comes w/the smallish power wart and a length of cat6 all bundled up in a pretty compact (8"x6") vinyl case. I've used it for about a year and a half now, mostly in hotels in North America and Asia.

Pros:

- small, lightweight

- dead-simple instructions (config card in case)

- supports single & multiple connections (great for work sessions)

- WPA easy to set up

- throughput was very good

- Works well w/the ISP subcontractors used at hotels I frequent

Cons:

- runs hot

- range ain't great (but, heh, a hotel room is fine)

- mode switch on side is just crap (am I on "1?" or is that "3?."

Lastly, it has dropped connections periodically when using one hotel's service. Dunno why or whether it was the router's fault. Elsewhere, worked w/o a hitch.

It works well and is dirt cheap. Would I buy it again? Can't say since I don't know what the market's doing today but I depend on it and it gets the job done.

fwiw,

-Craig

Reply to
Craig

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.