Which of dlink, netgear, linksys or others have the best reputation for range/performance?

Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a router or AP (to be used as an AP for now) that has AES WPA-PSK with decent range and performance.

I had set myself to get a linksys (WRT54G) but it seems to have not such a good reputation for range. Is that right, and what does have a good rep for range? I'm slightly wary of going for a belkin so I suppose that its either going to be a netgear or a dlink.

Would be grateful for any comments.

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
Greg Lorriman
Loading thread data ...

Without hesitation, I recommend the D-Link DWL-2100AP. Not only does it have great range, it can be configured 5 different ways. Furthermore, it uses WEP (open and shared), WPA (radius) and WPA-PSK (both AES and TKIP). Do your research on it and see if it suits your needs. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Heres an option for you (that I have used many times with that exact device, and will absolutely give you more power than anyone else's wap) (pasted from a post I had somewhere else..)

Reply to
Peter Pan

DLink OK, Linksys not bad, AVOID Netgear -too many issues, NO support. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Peter Pan:

Which is illegal (max 200mW in US, 100mW in Europe) and won't do you any good unless the receiving end can match it ! Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

It's a few more bucks but I went with Belkin (the "Pre-N" MIMO stuff) and I'm very pleased. I checked out tomswireless.com and looked at the review on "extended range" technologies. However, before I settled on something I tested the difference between my friends Atheros and my new Belkin at several Wifi hotspots and while the results weren't as drastically different as on the website, they still reflected as the better range and throughput being the Belkin. And I guarantee you none of these hotspots had the Belkin router to match.

-Shin

Reply to
Shin

If you want the best, you gotta' spend the cash - go CISCO. It really depends on what will work with your system. All of the brands mentioned have their haters as well as die-hard users. It is just that the people who love their products don't create web-sites saying so. Look at Broadband forums and you will find out how much people hate all of the products, or love one and hate the others.

Reply to
drriff

LinkSys is a division of Cisco.

Reply to
Chap

So what Cisco products can be used in a home wireless setup?

Reply to
Chap

A division that was bought specifically to get into the home networking market. At this time they are very separate companies and Linksys does not incorporate the CISCO technologies in their home products. If they did, the home products would be a lot better than they are right now.

Reply to
drriff

But not a cheap in price :)

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.