Which is the best wireless camera?

I am looking to buy the Linksys WVC54G. Can anybody recommend a better solution.

Reply to
Heckno
Loading thread data ...

How is anyone suppose to answer that question if you don't offer any clue as to what the camera is going to be used for and what aspect of the camera you want to be better? Does better mean more features, better picture, more control, or added software? Are you going to use it for security camera, baby monitor, web cam, or hospital room surgery camera? Low light? Auto focus? Auto iris? Motion detector? Integrated web server? Price limit?

Personally, I think all of the integrated web cam servers suck. The problem is usually the imager. John Navas is correct that a CCD imager creates a much better image than a CMOS imager.

formatting link
I use old digital cameras or camcorders to generate the video, digitize it with computer, and end up with highly superior images. The old cameras have auto iris, auto focus, and way more resolution than the typical commodity camera. Lots of web cam software available on the web.

If I need wireless, I just install a wireless client adapter or wireless bridge into the ethernet port.

If I have an unlimited budget (miracles do happen), I'm partial to Axis products.

formatting link
might wanna look at their live demos and compare them with some of the cheapo web cams found all over the internet.
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't understand why the "SECURICAM" (and similar products) offer only WEP at best.

Reply to
George
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In general, CCD cameras are better than CMOS cameras (particularly in low light), and the Linksys is a CMOS camera. Consider instead the D-Link SECURICAM Network DCS-3220G Wireless Internet Camera

Reply to
John Navas
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

See also the D-Link SECURICAM Network DCS-5300G Internet Security Camera .

Reply to
John Navas

D-Link DCS-950G can do WPA

formatting link
use the Linksys WVC54G and it works as advertised. It can only do WEP but that's not a major deal to me. All of these "internet cameras" are a bit tricky to set up. Here is a good thread that helped me figure things out.
formatting link
attention to the part about port forwarding and No-IP.com (FREE) To see your camera from the internet you end of up an address that looks something like this:
formatting link
zapto.org is a choice that No-ip.com gives you for a domain name. (many others)

1025 is the port number I chose. You must tell the camera to use that port and enable port forwarding on your router for that port. The rest of the link just takes you directly to the camera image after signing in. The link could have ended with 1025 but you would have to choose what to do when the utility opened in your browser. The choice would be to view the camera. So in this case the link is a bit messier but takes you to the image. (Linksys camera)
Reply to
DanR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.