Which devices should share encryption?

I have read many articles about safeguarding of wireless connections.

Yet I have some simple questions that I don't seem to be able to find answers to.

My notebook is used primarily together with an adsl modem/router/accesspoint that supports both WPA as well as WEP. The notebook does also support WPA as well as WEP.

If I set the same WPA (or WEP) key in both devices, it will probably work OK.

However, I sometimes use the same notebook in two other locations, which only support WEP, but so far have no encryption installed.

If I would try to use my notebook, now with encryption installed, in these unprotected other environments (routers/accesspoints), would it be able to communicate with these unprotected devices?

Or should (the same?) key also be installed in these, sofar, unprotected devices?

And if so, does that immediately create the need to install (the same?) encryption keys in all clients that are normaly used in these other environments, with these previously unprotected accesspoints?

And how will a client, with encryption installed, operate together with a public accesspoint (hotspot)?

Joop Klijn

Reply to
Joop
Loading thread data ...

More than likely, your wireless client allows for profiles. In other words, you can create a profile for any access point you can associate with. Just because you enable encryption at home, doesn't mean you cannot communicate with an unencrypted device elsewhere. If your notebook is set to receive an IP address automatically and the "unprotected" access points have DHCP set to automatically assign IP addresses, then all you have to do is connect to that access point once you are in range. The configuration application should detect the access point(s) you want to connect to. I hope I was clear with my explanation. I'm very tired and am fighting sleep. Chat with you later.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

(at home, he can use WPA)

No problem. You would have a different connection profile for each location, since it would be connecting to a different access point. Windows manages these as different network connections.

Yes.

no.

it would, which is of course impossible, and would furthermore mean these strangers could go to your house and connect there too.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.