Which 802.11b card (desktop)?

Hi,

As I described in a different thread, I'm having problems with one of computers (desktop with LinkSys WMP11 ver 2.7) on my home wireless network. To eliminate the possibility of a hardware failure I need to get another wiresless card.

Instead of getting another WMP11 can I get a better one in the same price range?

The reason of my question is that laptop with Intel card seems to get a better signal that the above mentioned desktop had at the same location.

Is there such thing as good and not expensive 802.11b PCI (not mini) card?

TIA, Eugene

Reply to
Eugene F.
Loading thread data ...

If you can find another WMP11 it will cost you around $5. Best Buy is selling these or similar Linksys "B" PCI cards for that price every once in a while. (with rebate) So check their web site. None on sale this week but check on Sunday. The Linksys PCI wireless cards are somewhat inhibited by the fact that the antenna is mounted directly to the card and thus is among the mass of wires at the back of most computers. And the computer itself could be in the direct path of the RF. I have 2 such computers and I improved one of them with an external antenna that is mounted above the computer on a wooden desk. The other computer works just fine as is.

Reply to
DanR

I just purchased an Edimax EW-7126 for $20.00 from newegg.com Comes with a detachable antenna with 94cm of cable and a RP-SMA connector. It is working great and is very solid. Works with Windows

98SE/Me/2000/XP/WinCE.Net/Linux
Reply to
YouCanToo

Re: Edimax EW-7126

Looked at reviews at NewEgg.com and ordered it.

One of the reviews warned against placing the antenne near monitors. What constitutes "near" in practical terms? Does anybody know?

TIA, Eugene

Reply to
Eugene F.

Am not really sure as I have mine sitting on top of the monitor (Sony 17SX)

Reply to
YouCanToo

My cat, paperwork, and wireless antenna all compete for space on top of the monitor. At this moment, the cat is winning.

I think the reviewer probably meant not to place the router near the monitor. Many potential problems.

1. The electrostatic field from the high voltage can do weird and disgusting things to circuitry. With today's low voltage logic, it doesn't take too many electrons piled up on a wire to change logic states.
  2. If your monitor is ancient, it might be belching some x-rays. They won't be substantial but might be sufficient to create logic errors in high density memory chips.
  3. The flyback transformer has quite a large magnetic field. Most better monitor have shields around the flybacks, but the cheap ones do not. Your router might have an inductor or transformer that will pickup the field from the flyback xformer and induce some garbage into the circuitry. This is the most likely potential problem.

The reason I say potential is that I consider all the aforementioned to be highly unlikely with modern monitors. I did have a monitor where the high voltage lead was almost touching the top of the plastic case. I placed my cell phone on top of the case. When I reached for the phone, I felt a slight jolt, where the hi-v arced over to the cell phone, and then through my body to ground. The phone was dead. However, that's about as bad as it gets. Unless you do something similar with a wireless antenna, where the jolt goes through the coax cable and into the router, I wouldn't worry about proximity to a monitor.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Received and tried to install EW-7126 (Edimax Wireless LAN PCI Card) on my Win'98SE desktop.

Quick Installation Guide does not seem to match the enclosed CD (version 1.09 March 05, 2004).

While I figured out the location of the driver, I can not find the location of Utility's Setup.EXE file. It is NOT in the \\Utility folder.

Any ideas?

TIA, Eugene

Reply to
Eugene F.

Downloaded updated stuff from their web-site and everything seems to work.

Reply to
Eugene F.

One more question about Edimax EW-7126

I'm getting around 40% signal mark. Antenna is on the level with monitor's base. Length of the cord does not allow me to place it higher. LinkSys router is on the second floor.

If I to get a replacement antenna with somewhat longer cord (at least 2 Ft more) which one should I pick? Obviously prefer from lower price range.

TIA, Eugene

Reply to
Eugene F.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.