Where to buy Ubiquiti Nanobridge M2-18 Outdoor MIMO 2.4GHz 18DBI (NB-2G18)

Streakwave and Wlanparts are where I was told to buy the $72.oo UBNT NB-2G18 (Ubiquiti Nanobridge M2-18 Outdoor MIMO 2.4GHz 18DBI).

But they're both out of stock.

Where do you guys normally get your radios for shipment to the bay area?

Reply to
Vinny P.
Loading thread data ...

I found an 'export version' on Ebay.

What's an export version anyway? Would that be illegal to use in California?

Reply to
Vinny P.

Having no other recourse, I ended up buying the 'export' version of the Ubnt NanoBridge M2-18 for $78.50 from

formatting link
Apparently, for that price, it comes with:

- the radio

- the antenna

- the POE

- the mounting tube

Thee salesman said the export version is 'more powerful' because it handles many 'more frequencies' but that those frequencies would be useless to me unless I bought two of them.

He said if I bought two of them, I would experience less interference because nobody is on those frequencies.

It makes sense - but there must be a good reason for the non-export version. Right?

Anyway, I had to fax him this document that says I'm not going to use the extra frequencies:

formatting link
So my only question is (since I only bought one): Q: What happens if I do use those extra frequencies?

(i.e., is there a real benefit if I had two of them?) (i.e., what's the real chance of getting caught?) (i.e., is there any way to actually 'use' those frequencies with just one of them?)

Reply to
Vinny P.

They allow access to frequencies and power levels not authorized in the US. Not a good idea to use them - you will get caught.

Reply to
Robert Neville

You will get caught by the FCC. At a minimum you will get to make a major personal contribution to the ever growing federal deficit. The offending device will also get taken from you. Depending on your attitude when caught, you could even get to spend some close personal bonding time with Bubba the Love Sponge.

No.

Very high. Especially as those frequencies are used by other services in the US including safety services.

No.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Hmm.

Since I only have one radio, if I can't actually 'use' the extra frequencies, then how would I get caught not using them?

Reply to
Vinny P.

then how would I get caught not using them?

Plug it in, broadcast and start a stopwatch.

Reply to
News

Nothing. When you dive into the setup, there's a choice of various countries. Pick USA and you'll get the usual 11 channels and 1 watt maximum per FCC rules. If you pick some other country, you might end up with 14 channels, but also a lower power maximum.

No. The only difference between export and domestic is the FCC sticker and the availability of options that you're not going to use.

Minimal. It's really a political issue. The FCC is not interesting in enforcing anything that does not generate revenue or in an election year, generate points for the incumbents. The only way you're going to have a problem is if you trash the Wi-Fi connection of a congress critter or other important official, and they complain to the FCC. That will usually precipitate a reaction only slightly less than biblical proportions, which you will surely regret. Another way is for someone to file an official complaint, and the complaint is randomly selected for enforcement, perhaps to demonstrate that the FCC EB is actually doing something useful. Of course, getting your name in the press by boasting about the laws that you're breaking will not be a good thing.

On the other foot, I occasionally report interference violations to the FCC, when I can't get through to the perpetrator. For non-commercial interference complaints:

All that usually happens is the FCC sends a form letter informing the owner that they're breaking the rules. The letter includes an itemized list of dire consequences. These usually get the recipients attention and the problem goes away.

That's a little like asking if it is possible to drive the wrong way in the traffic lanes made for opposing traffic. The answer is yes, there is a way, but it won't work very well, or for very long. Most of the channels between 2483.5 and 2500MHz are used by satellite broadcasting.

MOBILE-SATELLITE (space-to-Earth), RADIODETERMINATION-SATELLITE (space-to-Earth), MOBILE-SATELLITE (space-to-Earth), RADIODETERMINATION-SATELLITE (space-to-Earth), S5.398, S5.150, S5.402, US319, US41, NG147. ISM Equipment (18), Satellite Communications (25), Private Land Mobile (90), Fixed Microwave (101). I really don't know who uses those frequencies, but I'm sure they won't be thrilled with your presence.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

heh heh. That's a good point.

What you're implying, I guess, is that the radio must be broadcasting on all the available frequencies as it 'scans', one or two of which are 'illegal' frequencies.

So even though there's nothing on the other side of the link to connect to at those illegal frequencies, the radio will broadcast on them.

But can't I just set my frequency to a channel less than 12?

Would my export radio 'still' broadcast on the other frequencies?

Reply to
Vinny P.

Makes sense!

That's what I thought.

That's also what I thought. I mean, heck, who's going to spend the money to scan for illegal frequencies, and then triangulate (or use whatever method they use to identify the culprit) and then surround the house with helicopter gunships to take down a single antenna that isn't even communicating with anyone on the stated frequencies.

Ooops. At least you don't know my 'last' name! :)

I understand. I got one of these from the IRS. It takes them years to catch up with you when you don't file your taxes - and they're absolutely no penalty if you've overpaid them - but what they do is calculate your taxes for you.

The funny thing is they assume all your stock was purchased for zero dollars. Even when you sell short. So the final calculation is one that gets your attention.

Now if you don't straight W2 income, then their calculation is better than yours! I've found they'll do your taxes for you, if it's simple.

But that's for another newsgroup.

Interesting.

I think I'll just hit the 'keep me legal' USA-only button and I'll be fine. I wonder what all the fuss is then, if it's so simple to stay legal in a radio...

Reply to
Vinny P.

Implied or not, it's not true.

In wifi mode at least, it will send out beacon frames on the channel you've configured it on. If it has an "auto" channel mode, it may choose a channel itself. If you pick a channel yourself, it's not going to start broadcasting on other channels unbidden [although there is some overlap].

Yes, or pick the correct region and then you can't put it on the wrong channel.

Forget the 'export' bit. It's the same kit.

Reply to
alexd

It's working fine now.

So far, nobody has knocked on my door!

IT would have been a lot easier if I could have found the US version.

Reply to
Vinny P.

It's working fine now.

So far, nobody has knocked on my door!

IT would have been a lot easier if I could have found the US version.

Reply to
Vinny P.

Stopwatch is on. I installed it yesterday.

Reply to
Vinny P.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.