Where can I find info explaining all the diiferent modes ?

Can anyone suggest a website (or even a book) that will explain the various modes and topologies in which access points and bridges etc can be configured ?

Reply to
steviephilips
Loading thread data ...

(Plagerized from one of my postings and my bookmarks file.)

Various 802.11_ protocols:

formatting link
Various topologies.
formatting link
topologies shown revolve around the YDI/Terrabeam product line, but cover most (not all) possible configurations. Note that a mixed infrastructure/bridge WDS network is not shown, which is becoming all too common. Same with a mesh network and an ad-hoc network.

Mesh and ad-hoc network topologies are essentially similar and appear to be somewhat arbitrary and random. Well, actually, they are arbitrary and random. Kinda difficult to draw a sane topology diagram. See:

formatting link
a typical example. Any semblance to spaghetti is strictly coincidental. The major distinction is the mesh network routing protocol.

802.11 Data frames and such:
formatting link
the various links for details.

WDS (Wireless Distribution Service):

formatting link
IEEE 802.11 docs.
formatting link
will turn you brain to mush. Careful. Does not cover the various 802.11g enhancements (Turbo-G, Afterburner, Super-G, etc).

Wireless Security:

formatting link
not exactly for beginners, but offers a wide selection of references.

Some web piles worth visiting for white papers, papers, FAQ's, and tutorials.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The best introduction to wireless networking is Engst and Fleishman's Wireless Networking Starter Kit .

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cheers, book looks good, ordered from Amazon.

Reply to
steviephilips

And currently reading thru some of the links you posted.

Thanks.

Reply to
steviephilips

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.