whats the best all in one wifi router/modem etc for extending range

I have a 3com all in one modem/router which works fine in my house, no problems at all, but the neighbours want to help me with my isp costs and would like to join in !! I dont appear to be able to find any aerials compatible with extending the range so i have been looking at some Linksys ones, any suggestions as to what to get, maybe with an expander or an external aerial greatfully received. cheers

Reply to
Blackrat999
Loading thread data ...

Im looking at the Netgear DG834G router and the ANT2049M outdoor aerial so far looks like it would do the job, any comments anyone ?

Reply to
Blackrat999

In this scenario, you will be acting as a sort of wireless ISP. So your house will be the central node and contain the Internet backhaul (via your connection) This needs to be distributed amongst a few houses in the area, so you'll need:

Probably an omni directional (depending on the topography, you could use a sector) antenna at your premises, depends on the range required, but

9-12DBi should suffice for a few miles with clear line of sight. Probably mounted externally (or in the loft).

A router, which you already have.

For each extra house:

1 wireless bridge, or AP in client bridge mode - the DG834G supports this. 1 x directional antenna (possibly outdoor)- panel, yagi, parabolic - it's your choice, pointing towards the omni at your house (use GPS if you are having problems with alignment).

Security is a big concern with this type of setup.

Only allow the MAC addresses of the client bridges to pass through the router at your house - to prevent anyone within range of your omni from connecting (without a contribution $). Enable WPA, and, if you require further security, use a RADIUS server to authenticate each user before letting them through.

Install firewalls at the edge of each LAN (attach a router / FW to each bridge, and a switch / hub or access point behind this at each house - including your own). This will provide protection to the machines located at each neighbors' house)

If you do need to mount the antennae externally, keep coax runs as short as possible (

Reply to
Peter Phillips

Thanks very much Peter - very helpful if a little over my head !!! i will get researching, very grateful. cheers

Reply to
Blackrat999

You might also want to do most of the work after dark. If your ISP sees you sharing with all the neighbors, you'll suddenly have a central node with no packets from the internet.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.