Whats logging me off?

Have a query. Just installed a wireless D-Link 524 router to my PC and a wireless connection to a laptop. Everything works ok, apart from one thing. Everytime either the PC or laptop want to go online, the other disconnects from the Internet/looses its connection. Any ideas as to what's going on?

Reply to
Anonymous
Loading thread data ...

"" hath wroth:

That would be a DLink DI-524. Please do not abrev or trunc.

On your PC that's working, run: Start -> run -> cmd IPCONFIG If the IP address returned is 192.168.1.xxx, then ignore me and move on to the next guess(tm).

If the IP address is 80.5.188.227 or something similar, then you have the various cables going to the LAN and WAN (internet) ports on the back of the DI-524 mixed up. The WAN port goes to your cable or DSL modem. The LAN ports go to the computers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:37:49 GMT, "" wrote in :

Wired? Or wireless?

What exactly do you mean by that?

What are the exact symptoms?

It's hard to tell from the way you paraphrased.

General tip: Make sure the 524 has the latest firmware.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks Jeff Had already checked ipconfig, that reads 192.168.0.100 All the cables are correct, triple checked them. Have connected loads of routers so its not like I don't know where these cables go. Reset the router and started all over again, but still the same result. Someone mentioned to me about getting rid of messenger, which I did, and now everything works as it should. Why is it I can have messenger on one PC but not the other without this problem occurring, any ideas?

Reply to
Anonymous

John Like I wrote, a Wireless D=Link Dl 524 router.

When both the PC and the Laptop are connected to the Internet, if one of the two opens up Messenger a message pops up saying "You have connected to another PC". And promptly drops the connection.

The router came with the latest firmware installed.

When I go to Start | Run | cmd and type ipconfig, the screen flashes for a split second and then nothing,

Reply to
Anonymous

"" hath wroth:

OK, you have it wired correctly. So much for that theory. I'll assume DI-524 Rev C (not A or B).

Assumption, the mother of all screwups. I would hate to admit the number of mistakes I've made simply because I assumed it was correct.

Amazing.

No insight but perhaps a guess(tm).

Is it Windoze Messenger Service, MSN Messenger, or Yahoo Messenger that you're disabling?

If it's MSN Messenger, the setup is really bizarre: |

formatting link
'll assume you didn't do that as you didn't complain about it.

Anyway, instead of shooting the Messenger, try disabling the UPnP feature in the DI-524 and see if that helps. |

formatting link
guess(tm) is that UPnP is jugging the port forwarding.

Also, try turning OFF the Gaming Mode. It's a crude form of QoS that allegedly gives priority to VoIP and games. I'm not convinced that it does anything useful. |

formatting link
Also, check the DI-524 log for any hints: |
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 18:02:27 GMT, "" wrote in :

Ahhh ... Messenger ... presumably _Windows_ Messenger ... you omitted that _essential_ info. It's really, really hard to help when you do that.

See "NAT and Windows Messenger" at

Try enabling UPnP in your DI-524.

Reply to
John Navas

Are you sure you are losing the internet connection and not just being logged out of the messenger service? You can only be logged into a messenger account from one computer at a time. If you are logged into messenger on your desktop and you fire up your laptop with messenger running, you will be booted of messenger on your desktop. The desktop will still have internet access, just not messenger access until you manually sign in on the desktop (which will then boot your laptop off of messenger, but not the internet). I have seen this many times on my laptop/desktop at home.

Try this experiment: With only your desktop running open a command window and continually ping an internet server (I usually ping yahoo.com) ping -t yahoo.com

Now fire up your laptop. If your laptop connects and the pings on the desktop continue, you still have a internet connect even if a little messenger pop up says you have connected to another computer.

Good Luck

Reply to
Bryant Smith

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:23:08 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

formatting link
I'll assume you didn't do that as you didn't complain about it.

The usual problem is UPnP off, not on. Windows Messenger uses UPnP.

Reply to
John Navas

John In actual fact, I know I should be more precise, the culprit is MSN Messenger Live. Will check out these settings again in the morning. Regards

Reply to
Anonymous

Bryant, Will try that tomorrow, thanks for the info. Will you know how I get on. Regards

Reply to
Anonymous

formatting link
I'll assume you didn't do that as you didn't complain about it.

Thanks Jeff, will try again tomorrow, again thanks for the heads up. Regards

Reply to
Anonymous

John, noted. Regards

Reply to
Anonymous

I assume you try logon to MSN Messenger Live twice with the same username/password from 2 different PCs. Everytime you logon from another machine, Messenger disconnects you from the machine you're currently logged on. Is that correct? If so, that is the expected behavior. You can only logon once. I'm not 100% postive about MSN messenger but I know for sure Yahoo messenger won't let simultaneous logons with the same username/pasword.

Reply to
Ron

I'll bet you didn't do the "cmd" part.

Let's try again: Start -> run -> cmd You should have a large black rectangular hole in your desktop. Into this black hole, inscribe the magic incantation: IPCONFIG There should be no flash of light, no puff of smoke, no thunder from above. You should see magic symbols in the language of Microsoft delivering the IP address.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff, I know what the command prompt is, and I know I typed cmd, I have done it so many times. But now it won't have it. The black rectangular box, as you call it, came up for a split second then disappeared. Anyhow, I used the cmd prompt from the Start | Accessories | Command Prompt - cmd it works as per normal. Why is this? I then typed ipconfig and the result is what I expected, 192.168.0.100. Regards

Reply to
Anonymous

"" hath wroth:

Well, Holloween is over so your computer is probably not haunted.

Try using "command" instead of "cmd". Both programs should be there. I'm not sure why "cmd" does not work. Both CMD.EXE and COMMAND.EXE are in c:\\windows\\system32\\ directory. There are also backup copies in various places:

C:\\WINNT>dir cmd.* /s/b C:\\WINNT\\$NtUninstallKB835732$\\cmd.exe C:\\WINNT\\$NtUpdateRollupPackUninstall$\\cmd.exe C:\\WINNT\\ServicePackFiles\\i386\\cmd.exe C:\\WINNT\\system32\\CMD.EXE C:\\WINNT\\system32\\dllcache\\CMD.EXE

C:\\WINNT>dir command.* /s/b C:\\WINNT\\ServicePackFiles\\i386\\command.com C:\\WINNT\\system32\\command.com

Whatever the cause, the "cmd" and "command" incantation should bring up an MSDOS command prompt and associated window. Methinks you have other problems.

Search for a file that might take control from CMD.EXE such as CMD.PIF or CMD.COM. These are always malware of sorts. cd \\windows dir cmd.* /s/b/a and see if any of these appear. They will get executed BEFORE the CMD.EXE program and possibly are causing the problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Both machines have the same IP address.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.