what wireless printer server for HP PSC 1610 printer

This is for a friend of mine. Can anyone tell me the compatible print server for HP PSC 1610 printer ?

Reply to
Amanda
Loading thread data ...

Why do you need a wireless one? Why can you not use a wire one, that is less trouble?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

She has wirless network in her house and there are 3 computers in the house.

Reply to
Amanda

I would use a wireless print server in a situation where the printer was in a location where a cable couldn't be connected to it from the router to the printer.

I'll assume the router is a wire/wireless AP router. The printer can be placed near the router and you can plug a wire print server into a LAN port in the router using a regular cable. Both wire and wireless machines can print to the printer using the wire print server connected to the router.

The printer is part of the network at that point. There is no need for a complicated wireless print server if you're thinking that it has to be wireless, because you're using what I'll assume is a common wire/wireless AP router and all the machines are wireless.

The wireless computers using the wireless side of the router can print to the wire print server connected to the router.

You may want to find one that has features that work with the printer you're using (Google), but print servers usually work with all printers.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

That would be the situation in my sister's *huge* house since the router is in the library/office upstairs where she probably would not want people to go there all the time to get the print-outs.

She should and want to keep the printer just inside or outside that room w/o ugly long wiring.

My friend's house is with wireless (Linksys).

What's AP, btw?

My friend's probably doing that already.

What type of cable would be the *regular* cable that you refer to?

server connected to the router.

But the printer must be kept near the router in this situation, right?

I knew that the print server can be wire print server and be a part of the network. Just that when I mentioned about wireless printing, she said she's interested in doing that.

I don't understand AP. My friend uses Linksys. My sister's is Motorola.

Right.

I see. I'll suggest her to just get wire print server.

Reply to
Amanda

Yes it's a wire/wireless AP router.

Access Point is in the wireless equation. The wireless computers have an access point in the network infrastructure.

You can take a standalone wireless AP device and plug it into an all wire router. You then have a wire/wireless LAN with the standalone WAP implemented. The wireless computer can use the network infrastructure provided by the all wire router.

The wireless machines can access the Access Point and access the wire machine or another wireless machine on the LAN. They can access the WAN/Internet, because the wire router provides the means.

The wireless router you talk about has WAP built in. It's still a wire router with a WAP.

The WAP is a bridging mechanism that bridges to two networks of wire and wireless together to make one network.

That would be the cable used to connect a computer using a wire Ethernet Network Interface card to a networking device such as a standalone switch or hub. It is also used to connect the computer to the router on the routers LAN ports. It uses RJ45 plugs on both ends of the cable. You can look-up RJ45 as opposed to USB cable (use Google).

One end of the RJ45 plugs is plugged into a LAN port on the router. The other plug is plugged into the print server. The wire print server has it's own plug that plugs into the printer. You have to find out what type of network port the printer uses and find the print server that's compatible. I would call HP on that one.

server connected to the router.

You can drag the cable as far as it can go. I wouldn't be getting 100 feet of cable. ;-) 5 maybe 10 feet will do the job.

You should find out for sure, because wireless can be flaky in any situation.

I think I have explained that.

If you disable the DHCP Server on a wire/wireless AP router, then the router becomes a wire/wireless AP switch, since the router has built in switch technology.

All routers become switches when you disable the DHCP server. They are no longer NAT routers.

formatting link
They are a standalone switch.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold
[..]

AP reminded me of the news agency first and then my thinking ability was blocked:)-

Thanks for the systematic explanation. I took TCP/IP class 4 years ago (a requirement to graduate) but never messed with home networking as planned. Long story.

I kind of thought that you were referring to Cat 5 Net Work cable. Was just surprised that you didn't say network cable because there is

*coaxial* cable which seems to me more deserving of the name regular cable.

print server that's

I already placed an order for a wireless print server (D-Link DPR 1260) for my sister's HP Office Jet 5610. I just called HP and find out the wire print server. The cheapest one is $ 159.99. I bet it would be cheaper with other brand since even wireless print server from D-Link for my sisetr's HP Office Jet 5610 is $99.99 at the store and cheaper online.

print server connected to the router.

My sister's house has built-in thing on the wall for the cable modem. The router is connected to that modem via a wall connection point. I've ordered a 25 ft network cable and a 15ft USB cable since I don't know where my sister wants to put the printer.

Okay, I will not suggest my friend to get a wireless print server. In fact, I may be regreting to have ordered a wireless print server for my sister already. Btw, do you know D-link tech support number by any chance?. The one I got from the directory assistance got me nowhere.

I see.

I see. I was just tying to refresh my memory of the difference between switch and router.

Thanks for the links.

Reply to
Amanda

Reply to
DavidT

I got a Cables to GO print server. It cost about $50 with tax from Tiger Direct. It works like a champ.

The printer I use, uses a Centronics parallel printer port. The little Cables to GO print server device plugged/attached right into the parallel port on the printer. I then took a *regular* cable with RJ45 and plugged it into the little print server the size of a credit card and plugged the other end of the cable into a LAN port on the router.

It was good to go.

formatting link
Support link it should have the number. You call them and tell them what you want to do. They will help you as they want to make the sell, even through it's Tech Support and not sales.

Well, the router is just a standalone switch when you disable the DHCP server on the router and you can convert one wire or wireless one to be a switch and plug it into a router that is the gateway router for the network, as in the example shown.

formatting link
It doesn't make any difference wired, wireless or brand name, the principles are the same when configuring one router to be a switch connecting it to the gateway router.

I am glad I could help you.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I failed to check there.

Reply to
Amanda

My friend, a non-tech person, will be happy about the price.

Wow..that's easy.

I found it.

formatting link

Thanks.

Reply to
Amanda

On 5 Aug 2006 17:09:00 -0700, "Amanda" wrote in :

Be warned that's an off-brand, and that Tiger is known for selling cheap (in the bad sense) goods. Good, cheap, reliable: pick at most two.

Reply to
John Navas

That's not true and he continues to blow things out of proportion. They got dlink and whole lot of other things as well that are brand name.

And if you have ever shopped Amanda somethings are as good or better than brand name. I know you know about this. ;-)

formatting link
Then he has the nerve to make mention of a product that's made in my home town that is a leader in the industry as cheap and off brand.

formatting link
Sorry Amanda, but the *boy* apparently is not a man needs to be as he tends to go out of control with a big head on his shoulders and thinks he is all that. And he is not all that as far as I am concerned.

Maybe, he needs to get off of the Internet for awhile as he's become post happy. I am sure he has made 129,000 posts this week alone.

Duane :(

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 01:15:19 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas
[snip]

A post happy clown's remarks who needs to get of the Internet for awhile with a swollen head on his shoulders the size of a blimp.

I know I don't read any of his posts because he post too damn much as he runs up and down the NG posting like he doesn't have a life but the Internet with his ball and chain Circuit City mistress.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:44:35 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote in :

Thanks for proving my point. Apparently you don't even realize that. Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

I realize a whole lot things you ass-wipe. One is that can't stop posting.

You have a bad day and bad life.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You remember this scenario Johnny-Boy-G-Man. It's called the Rope-A-Dope. I shot a couple of arrows into the sky and old Rope-A-Dope-Johnny-Boy-G-Man fell out. ;-)

Keep posting

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.