What wireless adapter should I get for my PC

I have Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router like this:

formatting link
I currently have comcast but will have DSL on Jan 8th.

Is there a pro and cos w.r.t distance bewteen wirelses PCI card and a USB wirless adapter? The PC that I need to make wirless capable will be downstairs in opposite direction from the wrireless router upsatirs.

Should I get linksys brand since my wireless router is Linksys?

BTW, the PC that I want to make wirless capable currently has XP installed. The plan is to put Linux and ...

Reply to
ME
Loading thread data ...

pci will be faster and you wont have to contend with outhr usb devices some usb chipsets have problems my shutlle had problems with the linksys usb adaptor

normaly a good idea it cuts out oneless thing to go wrong.

Reply to
Neuromancer

The poxy antennas on PCI cards are pretty useless for any sort of moderate distance or weak signal work.

Whatever you get, make sure you can move or replace the antenna.

I got around the problem this way.

formatting link
Directional antennas make one hell of a difference to performance.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Not likely in any functional sense, I believe. USB 1 is fast enough for internet. USB 2 is more than enough for anything. The wireless connection itself will likely be the bottleneck for local network, the ISP when going online.

Is there such a thing as USB contention? You mean that a port will be unavailible for other devices. But only IF ports are in short supply?

That makes sense. My Linksys USB "B" adapter works most reliably of all my devices, though.

Anyway, The Advantage of using USB is putting a cheap no-loss extension on it and getting it up higher for clear reception line. Almost no cost, no antenna or lossy cable. One of our desktops is doing this and it makes a huge difference compared to the PCI adapter on the back of the PC with it's antennas buried behind the metal box.

If you are close to the AP, then it may not matter.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.