What's this syslogd on my Actiontec GT701?

I Telneted into my GT701 and found a "syslogd" process running, but I haven't been able to connect to it from the LAN side of my network.

If I point my Web browser at

/cgi-bin/webcm?getpage=../html/syslog.html

I can see the contents of /var/log/messages, but the only thing in it seems to be a running account of every failed DNS lookup I've done from machines on my LAN. Where might those be coming from, anyway?

They look like this:

(GMT)00:46:53 Tue Apr 11 2006 syslog: failed dns request len=122,srcip=

216.250.190.144, url=foo.bla.com (GMT)00:46:53 Tue Apr 11 2006 syslog: failed dns request len=122,srcip= 216.250.190.144, url=foo.bla.com

IP 216.250.190.144 is the address of one of my ISP's DNS, and shows up in the main status page of the GT701.

Also, how does the box know the time and date?

Reply to
Bert Hyman
Loading thread data ...

I would suspect you would use something like Syslog Daemon running on a machine with the syslog on the router broadcasted to all machines on the LAN or pointed to the LAN/IP machine that had Syslog Daemon running.

Long

formatting link
Short

formatting link

It may not even show in something like Syslog Daemon or it can be configured to ignore it.

There is also Wallwatcher which you can contact them and have them add support for your router.

formatting link

The firmware of your router knows to look for time sync servers on the Internet and sync itself to the current date and time in your area, which you can see that activity in a syslog viewer as internal router activity messages and you can set it to ignore them.

You should use a proper syslog viewer and forget about it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

snipped-for-privacy@NotME.com (Duane Arnold) wrote in news:RLH_f.2240$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Thanks for taking the time to answer, considering that I posted this to the wrong newsgroup :-)

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.