What's the status of WPS on wireless routers these days?

Hello/Greetings/Hi!

My client has one of those Samsung SmartCam that requires WPS for wireless connections with routers. And then, I re(member/call) WPS being a big issue last year and so. Is this a big problem today even on newer wireless routers (e.g., Netgear R6300) with their latest firmwares (e.g, updated a couple months ago)?

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
Ant
Loading thread data ...

A couple of months ago, I needed to connect my Sony BluRay player to my WiFi, and wasn't intrigued by the hunt and peck method of entering my WPA passphrase, so I tried the buton that said WPS. The Sony message told me to press the WPS button on my router, a recent vintage Netgear N150 from Target. By the time I returned to the room where the Sony is located, my connection was established, and I haven't needed to do anything since.

Is that how it's supposed to work ;-)

Reply to
dold

As originally planned, yes. Unfortunately, it takes all of a few hours, if that, for someone other than you to do exactly the same thing, and either get into your network, or use your internet connection for their own purposes.

Maybe you will be lucky and it will be the latter, and all they'll be doing is reading the news and checking stock reports.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

That's how it's supposed to work. What it's not supposed to allow, however, is the capability for an intruder to get onto your wireless network relatively easily.

Once you're done with WPS, turn it off. If you can, that is.

Reply to
Char Jackson

That's my problem. Just set up a Netgear N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR4300 -- sounds impressive doesn't it? But, you can't turn off WPS without turning off the router. Anyone know how to make this unit work securely? Thanks.

riserman

Reply to
riserman

Put ddwrt on it:

formatting link

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I re(call/member) some routers still had this vulnerability even if it is disabled!

Ask Netgear? They will probably say to buy a new one if it is old. :( Can it do third party firmwares?

Reply to
Ant

Alas it is a new model! Not sure what you mean by third party firmwares. Please explain.

riserman

Reply to
riserman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.