What's the most accurate elevation tool on the net (freebie)

This guy got it going. ;-)

formatting link
If Alpha Male has linux, why even screw with Radio Mobile? Just run SPLAT!. For a small array, the KML SPLAT generates should be fine for Google Earth. My issue was the array was too big to feed GE directly.

GE has an "aperture" size that doesn't appear to be consistent between PCs. GE expects the images to be tiled with no tile larger than the aperture. On my PC, that is 3600x3600. That is probably why you could load the Radio Mobile output to GE.

Incidentally, there are programs designed to take a PNG and tile it, but I never got them to work. But it has been a while since I tried them.

Reply to
miso
Loading thread data ...

True. 1 degree resolution at perhaps 20km is: tan(1deg) * 20km = 350 meters resolution. Not great resolution, but good enough for wide area coverage. For wi-fi, the range is much less, so the "squares" shown on the map will be correspondingly smaller.

Samples of wide coverage area RM calcs.

We recently moved our tower and antenna, when the building that previously supported them was demolished. So, I recalculated the coverage. I believe I used 1 degree resolution.

I'm too lazy to check the numbers right now. Maybe tomorrow. Meanwhile, this article claims that Splat is limited to 3600x3600 while Radio-Mobile is limited to 2000x2000. No clue at this time who's correct.

A 90 mile PATH (line) is quite different from a 90 mile radius coverage (area) radius.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Looks like the balloon trackers have the same problem with Radio Mobile Deluxe.

"The 2000x2000 software elevation matrix limits paths to 2000km for 1000m data (30-arc second), 200km for 100m data (3-arc second) and 130km for 30m data (1-arc second)."

Now, go away so I can get some work done...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It is a simple click to change the step size even down to 0.01 of a degree in the polar plot, or just run a Cartesian plot where you can specify down to one pixel resolution.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yes. I'm just mentioning cranking down the angle to save someone a few meaningless runs. It didn't occur to me to do the math as you suggested, but it makes perfect sense.

I was running the beta version of splat-hd. I could do 6 degree x 6 degrees at 1/3 arc second. Each degree is 3600x3600, so I could do

21600x21600. If you want to do "mountain-topping", you need that kind of span.

Looking at the overlays I generated, I had to hack the output into 12 to

20 blocks, 3600x3600 at a time, to make it google earth compatible. Hopefully the new version does this automatically.

I believe this was the program I was trying to get to work to do the cookie cutting. Looking at the bug report, it still looks like it has issues.

I got really good with GIMP to do the cookie cutting. Still a PITA.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.