what's the best wireless router

I have a wired router now...I wanna go wireless, I have 2 computers. The router is upstairs with the desktop, my laptop is downstairs...Which brand would work the best. The signal would have to go through a hallway then downstairs...is that possible?

Tx

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

Why not just get a Wireless Access Point (WAP) and plug it into one of the LAN ports of the wire router? That way, you can continue to use your existing set-up and have wireless too. The signal should be able to travel downstairs. I never had a problem with the reception with the wireless router being upstairs and it should be the same with a WAP device. With the wireless router upstairs, I had good reception when I took the wireless laptop outside.

Linksys makes good wireless routers and WAP devices.

You should be aware of some basic wireless security tips.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I have been told by many people that a wireless router is lot cheaper than a wireless access point. In fact, most wireless routers can be used as an access point.

Reply to
QuickSand

Ironically, a WAP costs far more than a wireless router.

Reply to
SMS

Yes, I have used my old Linksys BEFW11S4 router as a wire/WAP switch and plugged it into the FW appliance.

And yes they are cheaper than a WAP device.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

It does cost more but the far more I don't know about that. And besides, what's a few more dollars?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Ironically, a wireless router can be configured as an access point with the added bonus of having an ethernet switch included. Instructions have been posting a few dozen times.

The reason the wireless router is cheaper than the wireless access point is that the various manufacturers produce and sell far more routers than access points. It's simple economy of scale. When

802.11 was just getting started and volume was much lower, the access point was cheaper.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's nice. Any reason not to disclose the make and manufacturer? It really doesn't matter for answering your question, but I'm in a lousy mood this morning and feel like snarling at any provocation.

Sorry but RF doesn't make right angle turns. It tends to go in straight lines and sometime get reflected. Relying on reflections for a stable path is a bad idea.

My guess(tm) is that a straight line distance between your proposed wireless router and the laptop will be about 30ft and go through at least 2 walls or floors. The ability for this to work is totally dependent on what is inside the walls and floors. If they are wood and drywall, it will probably work. If you have wire mesh, or aluminium foil backed insulation, you don't have a chance. Various other materials have characteristics in between. Concrete and stucco are impervious to RF. Basically, the only way to find out for sure is to borrow a wireless router and try it.

Whatever you purchase, make sure it has a replaceable external antenna. If you find that you are getting a marginal connection, then replacing the stock antenna with a directional antenna pointed in the general direction will be a big help.

I'm not sure what exactly to recommend. This week, I'm partial to Linksys WRT54G and home made biquad antennas.

Duz the laptop have a built in wireless device?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.