What is the point in Wireless?

I ask this question simply because I have just signed up for Sky broadband, and despite my wife clearly stating that we didn't want wireless (because of potential security risks) they sent us a wireless router anyway!

What has really surprised me when I looked at the router and how it works is that, it's not wireless. In fact a wireless router has just as many wires connected to it as my ADSL modem!

It may not be connected to my PC, but it's still connected to the phone line, and most importantly, connected to the mains power supply. Now, I don't know about you, but I have considerably more USB ports on my PC than I do plug sockets in my home, so really, having to plug it into the mains instead of into my PC is far less convenient! :confused:

I can kind of understand the point of wireless for laptops, but I'm just wondering; considering that a wireless router has the same number of wires as a "wired" router, and needs separate mains power; what on earth is the point in wireless internet? :(

Unholymess

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Unholymess
Loading thread data ...

Most of the point is in being able to add other computers to the network without running a whole bunch of wire around to do it. Sounds like in your particular circumstance, it isn't of much use. In mine, where I have my computer, my wife has hers and each child has theirs, it is much more convenient. I don't get kicked off mine (or have to listen to above mentioned family members whine about needing to get on the Internet) anywhere near as often.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Agreed. I have 1 x desktop and two laptops. The desktop is wireless as are the laptops. The desktop WAS wired using cat5. However I decided to move it and it was much less trouble getting a cheap USB Wi_Fi donlge that running a new cat5 cable.

Clive

Reply to
Clive

thread:

formatting link
Actually, there are NOT "just as many wires" in that there may be (0) local network cables, or typically up to (4), besides the wirelessly-linked computers. I take it you do have ac outlets or outlet strips available that'll handle the 10 watts or so. :')

And ... the wirelessly-connected computers can _move_ without cable constraint- very useful to some. And not just for laptops.

Re security: use WPA with seriously long and unguessable key. DAGS on this.

J
Reply to
barry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.