What Is The Hands Down Best Long Range Router??

im tryin to get good wireless reception in my office out back of my house... i just bought a linksys home router and pci adapter but im only averaging about 20 mbps and that just isnt fast enough.... what is the best router for long range

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
lukev247
Loading thread data ...

lukev247 hath wroth:

You can have speed, or long range, but not both. They're inversely proportional, all other things being equal.

If you're getting 20Mbits/sec thruput, then you must have a 48Mbit/sec connection. You're not going to go much faster with 802.11g or whatever you have for hardware. You can possibly go faster with Pre-N hardware, but that might be at the expense of range.

Incidentally, the Shift keys seem to be broken on your keyboard. You might want to get them repaired.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'm running almost ten miles with 802.11g with 100 Mbps equipment and get about 70% throughput which is plenty for my 30 Mbps internet connection (50 Mbps by winter)...but I have 70 ft. towers at both ends and a 1.2 Fresnel clearance and better than 20 dB fade margin.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

What 2.4GHz 802.11g product are you using that yields 70Mbits/sec thruput at 16Km? I'm familiar with 100Mbit/sec and faster links, but they either use either 5.2/5.8GHz or proprietary modulation schemes, not 802.11g.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry, I meant 5.8 GHz, not 802.11g...I wasn't paying attention to what I was saying.

They aren't cheap. $10,000 per pair.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.