What is Google Fi and what does it mean for Android & iOS equipment?

Even sillier and more flagrantly dishonest than you usually manage, you pathetic excuse for a lying troll.

Reply to
Rod Speed
Loading thread data ...

I don't know anyone who streams songs, but I know a lot of people who stream music.

On a related note, I used to know a lot of people who downloaded songs for later playback, but I think all of them have switched to streaming because it's so much easier.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Many people stream music. For instance, all of the music I own is available to stream through iCloud on all of my devices automatically. I don't have to copy song files anywhere, nor is the space on my devices occupied by a large music library. My music is available to stream immediately wherever I am at the time which is quite liberating. : )

No thanks. I don't rent my music, because I'd rather buy it once and do whatever I want with it than pay monthly fees and lose it if I stop paying. That's a sucker's game IMHO.

Reply to
Jolly Roger

The Project Fi group plan was announced yesterday: $20/mo. for the first line, $15/mo. for each of up to five more. Still the same minimum $10/GB/mo. per line but with rebates for unused data. The plan "owner" and "managers" can cut off users who go over their data allowance.

Took ten minutes or less to switch my wife from her own separate plan to our new group plan. Total $55/mo. for the two lines, but with rebates for the unused data we should end up at $45/mo. or less.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I love the Project Fi concept and would be on it if it supported iPhones and had either Verizon or AT&T as one of the providers. But even with Android they only support a small number of Google branded phones. Leaves out Samsung and all the other Android phone providers. Pretty much tells me that Google doesn't plan on it being a huge MVNO or they think the few models they have to sell will be enough. Should be interesting to see how it all jells out going forward.

Reply to
ElfinArc

As I understand it, the limitations on what phones it will support are that it requires phones that can do both GSM and CDMA (lots of phones do that today), support VoLTE and WiFi calling on all of the carriers it currently operates on (T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular) as well as operate on all the bands that the carriers use.

The ability to dynamically switch among those carriers and WiFi is also a requirement, but I don't know if that's a hardware task or software.

Reply to
Bert

That last is the key issue to work with Project Fi and I think it is in the firmware. You can use almost any phone with Project Fi but only that limited list will activate on Project Fi. When I had it I stuck the SIM in my iPhone 6+ and it worked fine but it is locked into T-Mobile only and no wifi calling either. Note that my iPhone 6+ had all the right radios for GSM and CDMA.

Reply to
ElfinArc

most phones do.

custom firmware.

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.