What happens when an 810.11g AP has "b" and "g" clients at the same time ?

Does the "g" client get slowed down when the "b" client is active ?

Reply to
Al Dykes
Loading thread data ...

Yes.

Reply to
AndrewJ

I have the new Belikin Mimo Router. At present it seems to run b stuff at b speeds and g stuff at g speeds, I don't have any mimo adaptors yet, thats my next purchase in the new year.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

No! At least not if its a recent one. See many threads on this in the past.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

It didn't on mine, but I no longer use b anymore anyway.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

I recall some posts on this, but I'm having a hard time finding the right keyword combination to find them in the archives. Could you repost a link to articles or whitepapers explaining this? Did it have something to do with Nitro?

Some pre-final-standard G APs didn't support the protection mechanism, and that there may be some efficiency improvements in traffic control from the AP to the client. Using the protection mechanism will certainly help, and grouping G frames will improve downstream throughput.

But the standard still requires that the AP send all downstream broadcast traffic in a mixed network at a "BSS basic rate set" rate, which means 11 Mbps or less. The protection mechanism uses RTS or CTS/RTS messages at these rates. Also, if you have many B clients pushing data upstream (or intranet to other wifi stations) at rates 5 times slower than the G clients, it unavoidably affects overall throughput.

Also, if you are geting cochannel interference from a neighboring network, the neighboring AP is supposed to hear the protection RTS messages from your AP. If it's older B or G equipment, it may not be compliant. Even if it is compliant, if it's a busy B net it will chew your bandwidth if it's close enough.

Bottom line, it all depends on the traffic mix.

Reply to
gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.