What exactly does SSL protect in a web site forum/mail?

What if you were like most people, and you re-used your passwords? Or, what if there was ANOTHER site, that you *wanted* to go to?

Reply to
Alice J.
Loading thread data ...

Then you are a fool, and hopeless, and the only reason your Windows pc has not been choked to death by malware is the the bot-herders who are using it for DOS attacks and spamming are keeping it clean so it can do their work.

Reply to
John Hasler

Then you?ve either already lost, or didn?t have anything to lose.

Then you do a risk vs reward analysis and decide whether to use it or not. Nobody here can (responsibly) make this decision for you.

Reply to
Richard Kettlewell

Good advice. My Cisco cable modem is at that address, and its status page says "DOCSIS Privacy: Enabled".

Reply to
Peter Pearson
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.] On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 18:57:08 +0000 (UTC), Alice J. wrote: [snip]

Good job. I'd interpret this as meaning that your wireless router is acting as a "switch" rather than a "hub", directing your iPad's traffic out its (the router's) WAN port (i.e., to the cable modem) rather than sending it to everybody on your LAN. This is reasonable behavior. When I want to trap this kind of traffic, I patch an old Ethernet hub (which sends everybody's traffic out all its Ethernet cables) between my router and cable modem, as a sort of a tee; but that's likely more trouble than it's worth in this case.

A few days ago, I was suggesting using Wireshark to see if neighbors' traffic was visible coming out the Ethernet side of your cable modem, but given what this discussion has shown me about DOCSIS privacy, I doubt that neighbors leak to neighbors. Have you looked to see if your browser finds a cable-modem status page at 192.168.100.1?

Reply to
Peter Pearson

[gibberish]

$ cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9' | head -c 10

9Yx5YhMNZ5
Reply to
Peter Pearson

I don't know. :-?

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

Well, I have my doubts because I had a cheap router that sent all traffic to all ports. Unfortunately, now that I know more, that it shold not be so, I do not have access to it anymore, in order to verify. :-(

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

"port-mirroring" I haven't tried it but it looks like it should work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I haven't tried it either, but it looks interesting. Thanks.

Reply to
Char Jackson

"EVERYTHING"? No. It can only pick up signals that are strong enough, clearly. Second, it can only tune to one channel at a time. In general different channels are in use by various nearby routers, partly to avoid interfering with each other. Signals on different channels can be occurring completely simultaneously. A sniffer program can jump from one channel to another, looking for transmissions, but only one at a given instant. It can sit on one channel if there's a sequence of transmissions, which is how it can capture enough packets to make sense of a communication session. But while it's doing that, signals from other other channels will be missed. To monitor multiple channels you'd need multiple wireless cards, one for each channel, or expensive special- purpose equipment that is not consumer-grade.

Reply to

And some transmissions use several channels width, to increase the bandwidth, ie, the transmission speed.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

So, you are making us learn things ;-)

Here I have fibre, so I wouldn't be able to find out. But still, I think they use fibre splitters, so it is possible that I get traffic from the neighbours. It is a new system around here, little known.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Your neighbours could find out, if interested enough. You can detect where a signal comes from with a directional antenna, or simply walking on the street and noticing signal strength - I guess that your neighbourhood is not apartment territory, so it would be easy enough ;-p

You can build a cheap directional antenna for WiFi using a pringles can - just Gogle "antena wifi pringles"

And anyway, Google finds out and records SSID locations world-wide. The data is used for geolocation of Android devices. My phone has an option to "work" for Google benefit by scanning for WiFi SSID and correlate with my current position gleaned from the GPS chip, and send what it finds back to Google, thus avoiding the need to have google cars scan neighbourhoods.

I don't know if it is possible to have a peek at such databases: I'm curious to find out if my SSID is listed ;-)

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

One question, and one observation (which is also a question).

I have watched the Google cars, and they do NOT go down the private roads in our area. Has that been other people's observation also? (They don't do a ground view of our private road on their maps, for example. They just turn around at the beginning of the road.)

I thought *only* the google camera cars gave them the SSID information of all the access points that didn't have _nomap at the end.

Are you saying that everyone who drives down our private road while using those apps you noted is actually sending Google our SSID?

If so, that would be bad.

Reply to
Alice J.

Ah, but there are no private roads here, different legislation :-p

If a private road gives access to two or more properties, it is then "upgraded" to public property, so that one owner can not block access to the other owners.

There are farms with fences that need to have doors for roads that cross the properties, which can be opened by any passerby of that road. Inside there can be bulls, for instance. Sometimes the owners object and do not want to comply with the laws, but in the end they have to toe the line >:-P

It comes with being millenia old countries, laws are very complicated ;-)

I see in google street view that closed roads they don't map. Some pedestrian only roads are mapped, with gadgetry on large backpacks. I saw a picture once. Roads with forbidden access for some reason they can't enter. Some streets that they can pass but they don't know how to find the entrance they don't map.

It is not an application, it is a core feature of Android. My new phone with version 5 something has it, but I disabled the feature. So yes, any passerby with such a phone active, will log and send that information automatically. Even residents, so don't start stopping visitors :-P

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

Here it's up to legal agreements called "easements", usually forever attached to the property unless it's "quit claimed".

I know that the core Android, by default, gives Google your current GPS location, but I was unaware that it also gives Google your home SSID.

0 Assuming everyone has their phone on when they are inside their own home, then, does that mean we're all (by default) handing Google the SSID of our own home broadband routers?
Reply to
Alice J.

I understand it gives it all SSIDs that are detected by your phone, in use or not. I understand this info is anatomized, so it will not tell that it is your own WiFi, if it has someway to know this info. Certainly not the password!

That is, it will report all WiFis it find while driving, walking, those of shopping malls, etc. All of them. The purpose is to feed the geolocation databases, so that tablets and phones can ask about their location using several methods: GSM, WiFi, GPS.

Yours and all. Does not need you to be connected to them, and works even when "search for free wifi" (whatever it is called, mine is in Spanish) is Off. That's how I found about it, somewhere about conserving battery power or privacy settings. If fact, I disabled it because of battery concerns only.

Google does "spying", but they are quite open about it. Ie, it is explained in the conditions of use somewhere. Thus it is not "spying". They don't do it on your back, as some others do.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Errata.

anonymized. The speller corrected it wrongly and I did not catch it.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.