What does it mean that Samsung is updating the "security policy"

What exactly does this mean that Samsung is updating the "security policy" of my S3 on Andriod 4.3?

formatting link

Is this a two-way street, or is Samsung just *collecting* our data?

formatting link

Reply to
Horace Algiers
Loading thread data ...

it means you had 1 security policy but Samsung has changed the definitions and they are being updated

it is normally a new file going onto your device.

It doesnt imply the device did much apart from check for a new file and download the one it found that was more recent than the version already on the device.

Data collection might be in there, but security is usuaaly about stopping stuff happening not generating more traffic - I suggest you read the privacy statement..... Stephen Hope stephen snipped-for-privacy@xyzworld.com Replace xyz with ntl to reply

Reply to
Stephen

But what is a "security policy"? Is that an app? Is that a version of Android software? Is it just a single "file" (which you imply later in this note)?

If it's a file, does anyone know the *name* or location of that file?

This "thing" called a "security policy" was updated. But what is this thing?

Googling, this says "Samsung security policies are designed to keep all the data in your phone secure and updates are there to make sure that any flaws in security are fixed quickly."

formatting link

But that doesn't tell me *what* a "security policy" is. Is it a file? Is it an app? Is it a subversion of something? If it's a version of something, what is it a version of?

Reply to
Horace Algiers

Do you ask the analogous question about Microsoft's updates policy? an insurance policy? a store's refunds policy? your local college's admissions policy? -- It's a policy, regarding security. And if it can get downloaded to your handset, it must be in the form of a file. HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

A document, typically stored in a file, text, pdf, html, whatever they decide.

Jeez!

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

But what does it *do*?

Googling, I found this description of what it does:

formatting link

Here's the setting for it on "my" phone:

formatting link

This is apparently the "Sansung Security Policy" app on Google Play:

formatting link

It's a question that other people have asked:

formatting link

Apparently it is a mechanism by which Samsung updates the security on its flagship models *independently* of the operating system:

formatting link

Reply to
Horace Algiers

Security policy(SP) is set of rules, what must/must not be done or set from security point of view and it is not limited to software.

SP implementation on SW system is such a software module on system level, that forces following such specified rules.

E.g. a part of SP in Android 4.4 is that applications are not allowed to perform free write access on removable SD cards, but they are limited to their dedicated folder. Later Androids got this part of SP more relaxed.

Reply to
Poutnik

Thanks Poutnik from Cz (I think), for being the only one yet who seems to even comprehend what this security policy "thing" is.

Is there a way to obtain a visual or text list of the current "security policy" set of rules on any particular (unrooted?) Android device?

Reply to
Horace Algiers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.