what do i need to wirelessly network my house

hi i am looking to wireless network my house and i do not know what equipment i will need can some one please help

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

well, in very basic terms you need a broadband internet connection (you CAN do wireless with a dial-up but it's pretty convoluted), a wireless router and a wi-fi card for your PC(s).

there may not be a prototypical wi-fi setup but the folks i am personally acquainted with have systems like this:

- the broadband (DSL, cable) signal enters the home and terminates in a broadband modem.

- the broadband modem feeds (via cat 5 cable) a 4-port wireless router. the wireless router is actually one device that performs several functions. you can attach up to 4 computers to it, again via cat 5 cable. it will also transmit a signal enabling a properly equipped PC to detect the signal, establish a connection with the router and then connect to the broadband modem for internet access.

- their desktop pc is usually connected to the router via cable since the desktop is normally set up near the broadband modem and router. those that also have a laptop connect via wi-fi.

other things to consider:

- to connect your PC via cat 5 cable to the router your PC must have an ethernet card (sometimes called a NIC - network interface card) in it. most computers sold within the past few eyars, desktops and laptops, have these cards as standard equipment. the connector will look like an oversized phone jack. this is called an RJ-45 connector.

- to connect your PC via wi-fi you'll need a wi-fi card. desktop PCs usually do NOT come equipped with wi-fi cards but they can be purchased (relatively cheaply). many laptops come with built-in wi-fi cards either as standard or optional equipment. again, cards can be purchased for not a lot of bucks.

- there are 3 wi-fi 'standards'. they're refered to as 802.11b,

802.11g and 802.11n. the numbers refer to standards established by the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). the letters (b,g,n) basically refer to different speeds and modes. thus all cards carrying the label 802.11g are the same.

- you won't find anyone, other than on e-bay) selling 802.11b cards anymore...kind of like walking into Best Buy and asking for a BetaMax VCR. and the 802.11n standards are still being debated so I would avoid buying a card that ONLY received the 'b' signal or any 'n' equipment, at least for now. a true 'n' standard will eventually emerge. the card that most folks have is a combo card called

802.11b/g. this permits you to connect to public wi-fi spots that may still be using the older 'b' standard as well as to routers that are using the newer 'g' standards.

- there are many consumer grade wireless routers on the market. linksys, neatger, d-link, US Robotics and others make them. costs run from $30-$100, depending on this and that. DON'T select a wireless router based on price or what's on sale and the local mega-mart. do some research. learn what the features are. talk with friends who have set up wireless networks for their recommendations. prowl the USENET, yahoo and google groups to try and get a sense of what problems folks are running into involving which products. take your time and make an informed decision. i did research for many weeks before i made my choice and thart research paid off as the result was a flawless install and configuration with no network problems.

- you're also going to wonder about security. can anyone else connect to my network? can they steal my data? can they do harm to my system? most wireless routers will have security settings to make that hard to harder to virtually impossible. there are also settings in your PC that you should consider making. do a google search on PC security, wi-fi security, etc. and you'll get tons of information.

there are all sorts of variations on the 'typical setup' but what i've described comes pretty close to typical. i've also generalized a bit but with some effort, good research and asking quesitons you'll get a good grasp of the issues and process.

good luck.

73, rich, n9dko
Reply to
Rich

"bob" hath wroth:

FAQ's with lots of acronyms, buzzwords, and links: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
Some basic tutorials: |
formatting link
|
formatting link
(12 pages)

Security: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
is the only encryption method that works.

From Tom's Networking: The three rules of Wireless Networking 1) It never goes as fast as they say it does. 2) It never goes as far as they say it does. 3) It never sets up as easily as they say it does.

Also, you might wanna get the shift and period keys on your keyboard repaired.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 08:07:28 -0700 Jeff Liebermann wrote: | "bob" hath wroth: | |>hi i am looking to wireless network my house and i do not know what |>equipment i will need can some one please help | | Also, you might wanna get the shift and period keys on your keyboard | repaired.

Aren't they _supposed_ to talk funny in UK? Or maybe they have funny keyboards without shift and period :-)

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Been there done that, dial-up is the only thing available in the sticks (well satellite at $$$$$). But now happily with my router and Airport Express great signal inside and outside, dial-up and file sharing and ITunes on the home theater. Life is great in the country. LOL

Bob

Reply to
Leanin' Cedar

I thought we were supposed to talk the Queen's English Joan

snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

Reply to
Joan Archer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.