What do I need to extend the range of my network?

What Linksys box would I use to simply expand the range of my WiFi

802g network? It works fine, I just want more range. Is there such a thing as a simple repeater that ya just plug in and go? Or if I need to configure a WiFi hub, how does that work to simply extend an existing Wifi network?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Wow - interesting idea. In my network, I have the 'high gain' antenna set, but when I'm on the patio at my house, my own WiFi net is now about the same as the neighbor's (2 of them) and my laptop tends to bop to whichever network at that second appears stronger. I just need a couple more dB of signal and I'll be fine. Your idea just may well do the trick. Thanks!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

How much do you want to expand? What's wrong with you rcurrent network?

If you are missing a few feet, or you can sometimes get a connection in a place you want a solid connection, you might just need a reflector.

I just built a "windsurfer" for my Netgear router, for a cost of nearly nothing. I printed the template on the backside of some discarded HP photo paper, used a glue stick to paste some aluminum foil to it, and I was done... It took me about twenty minutes because I kept dropping the assembly on the floor as I was trying to tape it together.

formatting link
EZ-12
formatting link
The signal with the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.