What did he do?

I awoke this morning to find my little brother (12 y/o) on my laptop complaining of no internet connection. When I checked the router, and modem, all lights that should be on, were. When I looked at the laptop, there was suddenly an icon for local area connection, which of course was X'ed out, and the wireless area connection, also X'ed out. When I tried to connect to my network, it asked for the passkey, but once entered, it didn't take. He swears he didn't click anything, but it turns out it wasn't connecting fast enough for him so he showed all wireless networks in range, clicked mine, and when asked for a passkey, just hit enter. Now when my g/f tries to connect her laptop to our network, she can't get in either. (although I accessed her laptop and she was on it last night with me) Same problem, asks for passkey, enters it, and nothing. Not even "Aquiring Network Address." My question is how do I fix this? How do I get back into my own network? Is there a way to reset the router and set a new passkey that will let me? Or has my security gone so far as if I bought a new router and hooked it up, I would still need the previous passkey? Please help before I murder this boy!! Thank you.

Reply to
Neo
Loading thread data ...

Temporarily ditch the wireless, and connect up via wired ethernet. Then disable or reset the passkey, and switch back to wireless.

No, there's no way you will need to do that. A new router would require its own security codes.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

"Neo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I doubt your younger bro has caused the problem, but he may deserve murdering anyway - most do.

You imply there are other WLANs in range, in which case your connectivity problems may be down to channel overlap interference. Maybe somebody in range has coincidentally installed a new network or twiddled their settings of an existing WLAN.

1) Download and install Netstumbler (Google) and run it on your PC. Let it settle then check the adjacent networks and their channel numbers that it has found. 2) Setting the broadcast channel on your router to a channel number as far away as poss from any other. 3) Try getting you g/f's PC to connect first, then your own.

Let us know how you get on?

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Well i am at work right now, but I will try the ethernet connect when I get home. I did just also receive a phonecall from my girlfriend who says "It's back ... yeah!! ... wait ... WHAT IS THIS BLUE SCREEN??? ... now it's reloading? ... damn ... no connection again ..." I did download Netstumbler onto this laptop and we'll see how it works when I get home. Any other ideas or tips? By the way,

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE HELP SO FAR!!!

Reply to
Neo

Well I have no idea what happened but when i got home last night, my g/f was online and told me to try my PC. After acouple of tries with different passkeys I had, it connected. It has been fine ever since. Fast page loads, no lat problems on World of Warcraft, IM's popping up immediately. Strange. Just very strange for someone new to this whole wireless thing!

Reply to
Neo
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Make sure that your wireless router has a *unique* SSID; i.e., one that's different from any of your neighbors. Otherwise your wireless clients may try to connect to a different wireless router, and fail, with these symptoms.

Shame on wireless vendors for not making sure that all wireless routers and access points have unique SSIDs!

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.