What cards suport AP mode (not ad hoc!) under xp/vista?

I'm guessing a non ad hoc AP is run as infrastructure.

I currently have an atheros chip netgear card the software does not do AP mode in xp only ad hoc but when i run it in linux (with madwifi) it does!

This has lead me to believe that vendors do not generly let you run cards in AP mode even if the card is capable, they just don't make software that does it. I even changed to have xp have the control but xp didn't do it either! mabye this was becouse the driver didn't suport it?

Anyway I would love to know vendors that do suport it anyone know of some?

Gigabite must be one vendor because people with other card brands use gigabite software just to get ap mode.(from what I read here)

Do Ubiquity cards have software for it? I would love to buy a Ubiquity one day but if they don't do it I don't know if I'd bother.

P.S i know i can just buy a wifi switch thing but i want something I can run on the box.

Make this the first fourm on the net to address this isuse!

Chears :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
sabgenton
Loading thread data ...

something must be wrong with your drivers there. All cards and chipsets are capable of operating in either mode, as far as I know.

Specify the make/model etc of your noname card and someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I think he is talking about "SoftAP" but I can't be bothered to do the Googling for him.

Reply to
LR

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:20:59 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

Nothing wrong -- just a matter of functionality not normally provided.

Probably not. What he needs is advice on a card that can be used as an AP with the supplied Windows drivers. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Can you?

Reply to
John Navas

All right I'll bite. My neighbour used to have a zyxel AG220 before his dog chewed it.

formatting link

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.