What and why is "SoftAP"?

It seems that Microsoft and some other Wi-Fi device vendor has this concept/solutoin of "SoftAP". Basically it can enable your station Wi- Fi to behave like an AP called "SoftAP", allowing other device or computer to connect to it. If this "SoftAP" station is connected to Internet, other computers connected to the SoftAP can also browse Internet.

This concept sounds quite new and interesting to me although it seems out there for a while already, but I have some questions about this concept. What are benefits of using SoftAP? When can I use this feature? And more specifically how SoftAP solution is better than Ad- hoc AP connection?

If you can point me some document or web site about it, that will be great too. Thanks a lot in advance

Reply to
wgao_personal
Loading thread data ...

Start here:

Inscribe "softap" in the search box for a few references. Basically, it's part of MS's MESH Networking Academic Resource Kit.

The main benefit of a softAP is that you don't have drag around a real access point if you happen to have a handy laptop. Plug an EVDO or other cellular broadband card into the laptop, and you get to play wireless router for everyone in the area. That's handy for events, parties, meetings, buses, trains, etc. Share the bandwidth and all that.

SoftAP emulates an access point in an infrastructure type network. That means that for clients to talk to each other, they have to go through the central access point. That's NOT the case with an ad-hoc network, where each client talks directly to the destination client. Totally different topology and functions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I hate to ask what may seem a glaringly obvious fact/question, but does SoftAP actually "integrate" properly with an actual existing "real" Mesh network (ie. real access points doing routing etc.). Basically, can you do customisation such that it can route traffic to another node? I've always wondered, since my foray into mesh (small as it may be) will involve using an oldish PC instead of a real AP, so I do need to find some decent mesh "management" software (I think it's routing software I'm needing - preferably for Windows).

Reply to
David Fairbrother

Thanks for your reply. My further question would be since ad-hoc mode is there already since the begining of Wi-Fi and can also do something like sharing Internet. What is the reason of using SoftAP, instead of just enabling the ad-hoc connection? Is there benefit of SoftAP (Infrastructure mode) beyond Ad-Hoc P2P Wi-Fi connection?

-
Reply to
Woden98

There is a simple fact to keep in mind while thinking about all of this:

From a structural point of view, there is nothing special about a typical Wi-Fi router acting also as an AP.

Its essential hardware components can be easily replicated using a PC/ dongle combination. There are some issues with spatial diversity of antennae, maximum power output, etc., but the core of the system, the part that does teh routing, frame processing, creation and maintenance of roaming state, etc, can all be replicated using software inside a PC.

So the answer to your question is that anything is possible. What is actually done by SoftAP engineer is limited by the motivation of that engineer. At present, in October 2008, the market for SoftAP's is still in a state of flux - it's almost as if each company that attempts to to create a convenient, easy-to-use, SoftAP system is subdued by some entity that would rather they did not. See:

formatting link
So you might have trouble finding, for Vista, a dongle+driver-software combination that allows your Vista PC to act as an AP. I tried in vain a few months ago. Not sure if anything has changed since.

Gool luck hunting,

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

Bit of clarification, as Jeff pointed out:

The SoftAP is actually not related to ad-hoc mode.

If you take two laptop computers, N1 and N2, and two Wi-Fi dongles, D1 and D2, in the desert, and you put D1 and D2 both in ad-hoc mode, each using the same Wi-Fi channel, and induce N1 to generate an ethernet frame such that the target address of the frame is the MAC address of D2, D2 will receive the frame and pass it up the protocol stack. This is the meaning of ad-hoc mode. By contrast, in infrastructure-mode, N1 and N2 effectively route frames through the AP, after going through a process of negotiating state withing the AP, which includes, at very least, listening to the AP to determine what channel should be used.

If you are an academic, and your goal is to create a new type of wireless router, then having a SoftAP helps greatly. For example, you might be interested in tackling the mobilility problem, where applications must retain "connectivity" even though their interconnected topology is highly dynamic. Infrstructure-mode of the AP attempts to solve this mobility problem at the link-layer, by playing tricks with the Wi-Fi infrastructure. Ad-hoc mode does not try to solve the problem at all, in which case, you would solve it yourself using higher-level abstractions, essentially replicating what the infrastructure of AP's are doing, but at network-level.

In either case, if all you have is say, Linksys or Cisco AP, you would not be able to do anything, because you would not be able to program the router.

A SoftAP would allow you to write sophisticated routing software on the same device to which the radio is attached, the PC.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.