What am I doing wrong???

I just moved in with my mother and stepfather and he has Alltel DSL and a desktop pc running XP. I own a Linsys wireless router with 4 ethernet ports on the back. I tried to hook it up so that I could use the internet on my laptop (also XP) from the other room while he could connect to the internet by having his desktop wired into the back of the router and the DSL modem wired into the router instead of the back of his PC like it was before I came along. The problem is my laptop (wireless) can never connect to the internet unless I go to the desktop and select "disconnect" on his connection. then it works fine until he comes along and reconnects his desktop's connection. What am i doing wrong? We must be able to both connect at the same time. Is there a setting somewhere? I am at a loss and tech support at Linksys and Alltel seem to barely know anything about anything. -Thanks

Reply to
Ryan
Loading thread data ...

If you go to

formatting link
and click on the Support page, then you will see the Linksys automatic wireless connection tool, that will make the configuration for you.

Be sure you have a Cat5 cable to hook up from the laptop to the Linksys adapter also.

This will give you your configuaration settings and password to transfer to your laptop. Just follow the prompts. It is really well done , on Linksys part.

Reply to
anglirich

Are you sure you're plugging into a Router instead of a switch? There's a big difference.

If you are using a router, then make sure that the cable from your router to your internet connection is in the port labeled internet, and not one of the four on the back.

What IP is your desktop getting? What about the laptop?

Thanks Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

It is a router (linksys model wrk54g) and i have the cable from the dsl modem plugged into the correct "jack" on the router...both connections only work intermittently but they do work (when they want) but they never seem to work at the same time. :(

Reply to
Ryan

I assume you have DHCP enabled on the router?

Reply to
Pete D

Try new firmware, and try blasting your config back to nothing.

Start completely over, and it normally fixes it. Yeah, it's an inconvenience, but it'll be worth it.

Additionally, make sure no computers on the network have a static IP. That may be causing your issues.

Reply to
NetSteady

"NetSteady" wrote in news:1124329586.200900.6590 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I trust that a static IP issue would be that the DHCP is trying to allocate an IP that is already staticlly set to a PC ?

DanS

Reply to
DanS

Yes. Or it could be that two devices have the same IP in general.

Normally, when having these issues, I take a step back and look at the network as a whole. Make sure there are no conflicts (IP or otherwise), update all firmwares/softwares, and if need be, rebuild the network by adding one peice at a time back into the mix.

Reply to
NetSteady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.